Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Car checked By BMW

Hi,

I am looking at buying an Mcoupe off a guy off this forum and have been told that BMW will perform full mechanical and history check providing printouts and docs. Does anyone know anything about this. I beleive its about £170 but in my opinion its probably worth the cost.

I have just phoned Damon HIll and they have told me that they dont do it??????

thanks

Dave
    EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
    Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

I've not heard of BMW doing that comprehensive a check but I know they will supply what service history they have on a car FOC.

Good luck

Jim
    Jim.

2000 S50 Estoril
    KW V3, Eisenmanns, Simota, G-Power, Wiechers Strut Brace, Whalen SM, HIDs, Angel Eyes.

Comment

BMW will supply you with manufacturers spec and options as well as dealer visits but no specifics.

You will have to get the specifics from the dealer.

RAGS

Comment

thanks guys,

I have been speaking to Sytner BMW and they will perform a AUC Check (Approved Used CAr) which is the check they do on any used car going onto the forecourt but are willing to perform it on private vehicles. Its about £180 depending on the dealer. I know that this is a lot of money but IMHO well worth it as i am not mechanical minded so dont really know what to check or how to check it. They inspect all the suspension, engine, bodywork and other stuff.

cheers

Dave

Comment

I had this done on my car as it was sold under the BMW Approved Used Scheme.

It is a 150 point check, and pretty much covers everything.
          Result was mine had 4 new tyres (Beware! - they get rid of anything under 3mm)
          new rear shocks, discs and pads all round. Rear Top Mounts and Front Ball Joints are checked (these can be troublesome)

Also whilst you are there ask them to provide you with Service History and all Warranty work that has been carried out on the car: (make sure VANOS has is done on a S50) all free of charge.

Simon
          Ex S50 99 Cosmos Black / Black interior

Comment

Originally posted by sday12
            I had this done on my car as it was sold under the BMW Approved Used Scheme.

It is a 150 point check, and pretty much covers everything.
            Result was mine had 4 new tyres (Beware! - they get rid of anything under 3mm)
            new rear shocks, discs and pads all round. Rear Top Mounts and Front Ball Joints are checked (these can be troublesome)

Also whilst you are there ask them to provide you with Service History and all Warranty work that has been carried out on the car: (make sure VANOS has is done on a S50) all free of charge.
            Simon
            You say that but Vanos isn't something is always goes or will always go......what do you mean by that?

Comment

Rags,

Plenty of threads on this forum about the 'the dreaded VANOS' on a S50 (earlier engine)
              Suggest you try a search.
              Needs to have been done as a warranty item, but most cars have.

Simon

Comment

Doesn't have to be done.......mine has done 57k on original vanos and still in very rude health :wink:

There was a recall for upgraded bolts though :!:
                Black S50

Comment

thanks for your comments/suggestions

The car has had a new vanos not too long ago. (~ 1.5 years ago).

They wont do any work on the car, its just a check so if they pick anything up i am aware of it and can make a decision about buying it/offer value. Its a private sale, not through BMW.

Hopefully it will have a full bill of health. Its just been through a service with no issues at a differnet dealer.

I am looking forward to owning one and hopefully will soon have the "M Grin" thats mentions so much on this forum. What will make it sweeter is that fact that i have been driving a mates 1985 Fiesta Popular plus around for the past 2 months after my old Alfa died.

thanks again

Comment

Ditto above: I had my M Coupe checked out by a BMW service centre before I bought it and they performed the same check mentioned above, the 'approved used' check. They generate a really comprehensive report and I'd say it's well worth it! Very good negotiating tool and much peace of mind. You can also use the report as a milestone benchmark when you come to sell (although I expect that won't be on your mind for a long time . . .).
                    dallon London W8

Comment

Originally posted by sday12
                      Rags,

Plenty of threads on this forum about the 'the dreaded VANOS' on a S50 (earlier engine)
                      Suggest you try a search.
                      Needs to have been done as a warranty item, but most cars have.

Simon
                      LOL.

I am pretty aware of the VANOS issue

My question was more regarding the statement you made.

The whole Vanos system rarely goes, its more the solenoids, sheared bolts(oil drainage) and gears that have issues.

Many Vanos systems rumble and this has caused many people to become afraid and pay BMW for a replacement Vanos to cure the Growl.

I think its comments about 'dreaded vanos' that create a bit of added uncertainty.

Have a read of this

http://www.mukerji.co.uk/vanos/

:shock:

Comment

Excellent piece Rags Thanks.

Simon

Comment

No Problem :)

Comment

Working...
                          X