DIY wheel refurbs (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY wheel refurbs (pics)

My second set of wheels fitted with R888's were starting to look a bit ropey so I decided to see if I could refurb them myself.

Firstly I rubbed them down with wet & dry....

Then sprayed them with several coats of primer...

After letting that dry properly and rubbing them down with 1200 grit W&D, I sprayed them with gloss black paint...

Then lacquered them up after the paint had dried...

And here's the finished product on the car...

The finish isn't bad, but obviously a professional powder coat would look better. I'm going to see how they stand up to stone chips, etc. But even if they do need to be 'furbed professionally, I now know black wheels look fully sick on Imola Red!

nice job! looks awesome!
    a bit off topic but if you ever go to the ring (I assume you will eventually looking at the toyos) put standard british license plates on. Learned my lesson the very hard way - was arrested and had to pay 450 EUR fine and was a big mess. And I was lucky enough to be fluent in German because another guy who wasn't had to go to court...

Comment

Good writeup, and same for the brake ducting thread.
      Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

black wheels look great

good heads up on the europlates
        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by oxam View Post
          nice job! looks awesome!
          a bit off topic but if you ever go to the ring (I assume you will eventually looking at the toyos) put standard british license plates on. Learned my lesson the very hard way - was arrested and had to pay 450 EUR fine and was a big mess. And I was lucky enough to be fluent in German because another guy who wasn't had to go to court...
          Dude, I went to the 'ring in this last year and I got pulled over by an official there just before my final lap on the last day...!! I had just put my ticket into the barrier and this hi-viz guy waves me over. I don't speak German and I had left all my paperwork at the B&B - after a few minutes of me pulling a real 'sorry, I didn't realise' face and lots of nodding, he let me go on my final lap....

Can't believe what happened to you! Thanks for the warning, looks like I got off very lightly. Was it because of the 'D' mark or the type of plate, or both?

Comment

looks great. Imola red is so nice and the wheels set it off perfect.

Your pics make me want another M coupe.

S54 M coupe
            Supercharger kit
            rip out interior
            full cage
            standard wheels with stop tech brake kit
            R888
            Recaros
            KW v3
            ARBs

what 25k total investment?

for a 1300kg - 400bhp Porsche Killer!

so tempting
            Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
            New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee View Post

S54 M coupe CHECK
              Supercharger kit NO :(
              rip out interior GETTING THERE
              full cage NOT YET
              standard wheels with stop tech brake kit GOT THE COOLING NOW ;-)
              R888 CHECK
              Recaros CHECK
              KW v3 CHECK
              ARBs CHECK

I'll do you a deal when I come to sell ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by miketheman2k View Post
                I'll do you a deal when I come to sell ;-)
                Done.

We met about 5 years ago when I was in MK to hear your prospeed exhaust on your MR.

I was in an Estoril MC.
                Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Just love Black wheels..had mine done a while back only down side if you catch em again it really shows ! black humbol paint sorts this out tho !

Comment

Done.

We met about 5 years ago when I was in MK to hear your prospeed exhaust on your MR.

I was in an Estoril MC.
                    I remember...that was a long time ago! lol

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                      Just love Black wheels..had mine done a while back only down side if you catch em again it really shows ! black humbol paint sorts this out tho !
                      Have you got any pics? Would be good to see...

Comment

Looks good (although I'm not always a fan of black wheels). Prob with 888s is there is no rim protection at all! but as above I bet they can be touched in easily enough being so dark.

Oxam, your plate did look very convincing though! (didn't it have the two central registration/region decals on too?), and with it being LHD I thought it was actually a German car when I first saw it

Comment

Do look very good, especially as a DIY !

Comment

looks great. Imola red is so nice and the wheels set it off perfect.

Your pics make me want another M coupe.

S54 M coupe
                            Supercharger kit
                            rip out interior
                            full cage
                            standard wheels with stop tech brake kit
                            R888
                            Recaros
                            KW v3
                            ARBs

for a 1300kg - 400bhp Porsche Killer!

so tempting
                            want to have mine for less? :) it's only S50 but still 430ish hp and capable of 525

Comment

Originally posted by miketheman2k View Post
                              Can't believe what happened to you! Thanks for the warning, looks like I got off very lightly. Was it because of the 'D' mark or the type of plate, or both?
                              I had only german style plates and a stamp from the munich county (not even the D mark) - at then end i had to scratch off the stamp and was very difficult to convince the cops to let me go. The other dude got into trouble for the D mark - it's completely forbidden and they won't let you drive any further - so gotta put proper uk plates and nowadays they arrest the car till this is done...

Comment

Working...
                              X