Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2021, 11:08 AM
Administrator

I think the S50B32 water pump is a much stronger unit than the S52 version and as such we don't have the same issues with the viscous fan as American owners. I have seen cars with the fan removed and it looks really odd and personally prefer good cooling over 1-2 bhp and a bit of fan noise - each to their own.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:50 PM

That's reassuring to hear. I would have thought if the S50 fan had the same issues this forum would be full of horror stories, but it's not. I guess it's one to monitor but I think I'll leave as-is.
I also prefer the idea of additional cooling and can't help thinking that BMW would not have fitted this fan if they didn't think it was needed....
>>Read my journal here<<
2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
2008 Ford Ka Zetec
2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
Old 06-02-2021, 10:44 PM

I think the S52 has a crappy plastic T Stat housing too whereas the S50 at least has an alloy one from memory.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquattrogus View Post
I think the S52 has a crappy plastic T Stat housing too whereas the S50 at least has an alloy one from memory.

Very different set up on the US S52 and I think it may even have a bigger water radiator as they don't have a oil cooler like the S50 and S54
Old 20-02-2021, 12:35 PM

Talking

Left my viscous fan off last year after doing the Vanos.
Checked the engine temp & electric fan cuts in just past normal (just before the second white line) then drags temp back to normal before cutting out. I figured this was fine & never changed the rad temp switch, maybe mine had already been done?
Difference in noise levels is quite dramatic on my car. it was like removing a small jet engine from under the bonnet
I have thought about putting back the shroud but not got round to it, quite like the extra access at the front of the engine.
I think that if the car was used for more than just cruising around (trackdays etc) I may have kept the viscous unit as a 'belt & braces' option.