No announcement yet.

Imola S50 - long overdue journal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's red. It doesn't need a turbo boost switch - red cars just go faster....
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Waiting for the satin black paint to arrive to refurb the sub grille, so I thought I'd give it a good clean and go over with the machine polisher as the sun is out...

Not looking too shabby for nearly 22 years and 120k miles...
      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Looks fantastic

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Nice to see another with mudflaps - I was beginning to think I had a bit of a unicorn having them on mine!
            ----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<
            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
              Nice to see another with mudflaps - I was beginning to think I had a bit of a unicorn having them on mine!
              They came on the car - I have considered removing them, but they are actually pretty good at protecting the rear quarters from stone chips and I don't think they look too bad.

Comment

Great looking car

Comment

Actually the more I look at your car (colour aside) the more similarities they have...

You also have chrome door handles & the rare headlamp washers!
                  ----------------
                  David
                  1999 M Coupe (S50)
                  >>Read my journal here<<
                  2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                  2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Wow , this looks awesome. Must get mine out for some polishing!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post

They came on the car - I have considered removing them, but they are actually pretty good at protecting the rear quarters from stone chips and I don't think they look too bad.
                      I think the fronts look ok as they're not that big and have a valid job of protecting the side of the car, but those rears look a bit iffy to me - best left to rally cars and trucks IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post

I think the fronts look ok as they're not that big and have a valid job of protecting the side of the car, but those rears look a bit iffy to me - best left to rally cars and trucks IMO.
                        Stop being all polite with your "bit iffy" nonsense Chris. They are a hideous piece of design, lol
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Sorted a few niggles this weekend. First up - fitted the missing "fake bolt" clip from my gearlever surround - at £8 for 2 from the dealer, I'm pretty sure these cost more by weight than gold...

The decided to tackle the driver side tweeter, which has stopped working... again...

Footwell trim and door card out, tested all the wiring and found a broken wire as the loom in the door rubs against the door itself - spliced some new wire in for both tweeters and found that the smaller 1.5" tweeter is dead.

Quick check on Ebay shows them selling for £80-150, which is ridiculous especially as I have been through 2 already over the past 10 years. So decided to get creative and found a 40mm 4ohm speaker on Amazon (designed to fix JBL satellites) and rebuilt the tweeter using that.

Old connector soldered on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210328_150904.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	294786

Then had to fit the mounting plate. Unfortunately, the cone for the new speaker is slightly proud of the surround, so I had to cut the centre section out with a dremel before fitting. Mounted with hot glue:

Name:	IMG_20210328_152712.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	294787

And fitted to the surround:

Name:	IMG_20210328_153443.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	294788

Also took the opportunity to paint the speaker grill whilst out, and removed the passenger side to do the same.

Sounds good, all working again!

Comment

Annoyingly, whist I had the door wiring disconnected chasing the broken cable, caused the airbag light to trigger.

Bought one of these from amazon:

Name:	IMG_20210328_163055.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	294790

Reset the airbag light no problem, at a fraction of the cost of a dealer or even an indy. And I'm sure I'll use it again when I forget to detach the battery next time....

Comment

Not many updates recently. Just passed MOT - only required a carbon clean to get it through (my fault - I forgot to run some cat clean through it before the MOT!).

As per my other thread - garage tidied up a bit with a new floor:

Comment

Been a while... Car has recently had an inspection II and faulty ABS sensor replaced by my local Indy... otherwise just been enjoying it.

Out last week with my daughter and we both noticed a miss at idle in traffic. Otherwise running fine with no hesitation or misfire under load. I vaguely remembered seeing this post in the past describing a possible cause of rough idle, and decided to remove the air intake to investigate.

Sure enough, the vacuum bung is split and holding on by a thread!

Click image for larger version  Name:	bung.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.4 KB ID:	299444

Whilst everything was out, I decided to refresh the whole intake system. I have a Simota, and the rubber hump hose and the elbow to the intake were both perished as well:

Click image for larger version  Name:	hump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	299445
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	elbow.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	299446

New parts ordered...

Comment

Working...
                                X