Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > For Sale or Wanted
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19-01-2021, 10:44 AM

I’ve also never liked the factory wheel and always felt they numbed the feel of the car. My search for a 340mm Raid wheel (at a realistic price) has proved fruitless. Instead of going for a Raid 365mm wheel, I’ve bought one from a Z4 which is also 365mm, much cheaper, an original BMW part and - to my eyes - better looking. Although the hub will require a little bit of machining to make it fit....
Old 20-01-2021, 04:43 PM

Some progress on this.

I will ask about making steering wheels smaller but I'm not sure if people will be willing to do it, most still have a metal ring under the foam rim and I also slightly worry about safety.

Still no raid wheel but here is the Facelift Z3 Steering wheel I have just bought complete with Airbag and Slip Ring, from a 2002 car.

It's the same 375mm size but I'm struck by how much nicer it feels in the hand without even fitting it.

The quality of the leather feels nicer, and the rim is sort of flat and a bit fatter, and the thumb grips near the airbag feel nice.

It's also a two stage airbag which my car has so hopefully no messing with wiring.

I think I'll try it and then maybe consider re-trimming or changing the coloured silver insert for plain black or maybe if I'm daring Estoril Matt.

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

Part no of wheel:

Old 20-01-2021, 05:06 PM

I am with you on this one All the standard OEM steering wheels are to large for the coupe

I have an old EVO E36 sport wheel with the air bag I have seen this on the forum reduced in size by carsdream.com , perhaps you could give them a shout
Old 20-01-2021, 05:47 PM

I’m interested on how the z4 will fit, it’s definitely a nicer wheel with a much more compact Centre.

I follow a company called Bognor Motors on Facebook. They are selling heavily modified VW transporter steering wheels. There must be companies out there cutting steering wheels up and putting them together again with a smaller diameter
Old 21-01-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I’ve a feeling that Chris (C_W) felt that the 340 was a little too small for his preference so that 365 might be worth a try. I love the size of the 340, absolutely spot on for me

Anything smaller than the OEM HGV size has to be an improvement, ha
Mines a 340 too I think. It's significantly smaller than stock, but it's not ridiculous like a 320mm size. I sold my original M wheel years ago and as I had thoughts of putting the stock one back on during my recent "restoration" I found a dual stage M steering wheel but haven't put it back on yet. It's nice to know if I did, I can sell my Raid for a million pounds
Old 31-01-2021, 04:21 PM

So, I thought I'd try fitting an M trim to the lower half of the steering wheel to make it more befitting.

It all fitted except for a very small gap at the bottom! B@gger!

However, I'm sure if I get the wheel Re-Trimmed they could space out this gap.

Maybe getting this wheel trimmed in black alcantara or leather and it would look quite nice.

But it's still not smaller, starting to wonder if worth it but I think I'll try it!

I'm going to ring a few people and see, maybe Royal Steering wheels and AN other.

I also had a vague idea of maybe trying to add estoril blue highlights at the top of the wheel, but shied away from doing it.

I'd ordered Estoril Blue Matt (YF40) in a spary can and wondered if it would match the dash and seats, alas, after testing some on a plastic light fitting, it looks like a no!

The dash colour is darker, anyone know the paint code, or if there is one??

Last edited by urquattrogus; 31-01-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 31-01-2021, 05:35 PM
Knightrider
This message has been deleted by Knightrider. Reason: Error!
Old 31-01-2021, 09:55 PM

“Interior” Estoril blue is a completely different colour to “exterior” estoril blue.
I took off a door card and had my paint guy colour match it and he did a decent job though even then it’s come out a very different shade to the factory internal colour.
>>Read my journal here<<
2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
2008 Ford Ka Zetec
2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
Old 01-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Spoken to Jack at Royal steering wheels and I'm going to send it off for the following:

Black Alcantara rim with M stitching

M3 Style Thumb Grips

He can probably space out the bottom part too.

Should look nice and if I don't like it I guess I'll sell it on to another Z3 owner as I'd imagine it won't be an offensive colour combo.
Old Today, 09:51 PM

Will these pass an MOT without a drivers airbag?