Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 14-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Knightrider Knightrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
Looks like there is still some orange peel which is common with spray cans. It might be worth a very light wet sand and then polish (it is a fiddly small piece to handle though!).
Actually the top is a lot better than the underneath, and it looks pretty good back on the car. I may give it a go when I get bored again!
__________________
'99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Knightrider Knightrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 328
Default Headlight switch tidy-up

So following on from this thread, I decided to clean up my headlight switch. It was working, but the dash light dimmer was a bit grindy and uneven, and occasionally the dash lights went out altogether.

Pretty easy to get out - unclip the head of the light knob and there is an 8mm bolt inside. Undo, then unscrew the rest of the switch in the other direction to remove. Then you will see a screw above the switch inside - undo, and the whole switch/vent assembly will pull out.

At this stage, in retrospect I think it would probably be easier to remove the lower dash trim under the steering wheel and just unclip the light switch from inside, as it is a pig to get the vent, light switch and bulb assembly back in in one piece when you are done.

Once unplugged, you have your switch:



Unclip the metal plate with a thin flet-headed screwdriver:



Unclip the plastic circuit board:



Move the switch to the central position (sidelights on) - this allows you to remove the central connector:





Slide out the metal rod:



Then you can remove the rheostat:



Unclip the brass surround and disassemble. My black plastic insert was cracked, so repaired with some glue:





Then clean up all the contacts and the coil with WD40 on a cue-tip, reassemble in the opposite order, and reinstall. Now works like new!

I realised whilst I was there that the bulb for the light indicator was not working, so a new one ordered...
__________________
'99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Dave P's Avatar
Dave P Dave P is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 27,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
So following on from this thread, I decided to clean up my headlight switch. It was working, but the dash light dimmer was a bit grindy and uneven, and occasionally the dash lights went out altogether.

Pretty easy to get out - unclip the head of the light knob and there is an 8mm bolt inside. Undo, then unscrew the rest of the switch in the other direction to remove. Then you will see a screw above the switch inside - undo, and the whole switch/vent assembly will pull out.

At this stage, in retrospect I think it would probably be easier to remove the lower dash trim under the steering wheel and just unclip the light switch from inside, as it is a pig to get the vent, light switch and bulb assembly back in in one piece when you are done.

Once unplugged, you have your switch:



Unclip the metal plate with a thin flet-headed screwdriver:



Unclip the plastic circuit board:



Move the switch to the central position (sidelights on) - this allows you to remove the central connector:





Slide out the metal rod:



Then you can remove the rheostat:



Unclip the brass surround and disassemble. My black plastic insert was cracked, so repaired with some glue:





Then clean up all the contacts and the coil with WD40 on a cue-tip, reassemble in the opposite order, and reinstall. Now works like new!

I realised whilst I was there that the bulb for the light indicator was not working, so a new one ordered...



what condition was the round coil in as I cant see it in the pictures?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21-02-2021, 12:28 PM
Knightrider Knightrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
what condition was the round coil in as I cant see it in the pictures?
I know - when I downloaded the pics I realised I hadn't actually taken one of the coil! It was completely intact (no breaks) and pretty clean. Just needed a bit of WD40.
__________________
'99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 23-02-2021, 04:59 PM
urquattrogus urquattrogus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I know - when I downloaded the pics I realised I hadn't actually taken one of the coil! It was completely intact (no breaks) and pretty clean. Just needed a bit of WD40.
What about the "Turbo Boost" switch, how is that looking for you?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 23-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Knightrider Knightrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 328
Default

It's red. It doesn't need a turbo boost switch - red cars just go faster....
__________________
'99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.