Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Knowledgebase
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21-02-2021, 01:32 PM

Default Front Brake Pipe Replacement

A small job is increasing in scope.... Having removed the wheel arch liner the brake pipe is corroded, and on closer inspection I think it needs replacement.

It looks like a single piece from the drivers side arch across to the ABS module. I'd rather use a new genuine part, but i'm not sure if this can be replaced without removing a significant amount of other equipment - has anyone experience of replacing this pipe?

I'd also recommend checking your pipes here, they are well hidden from any MOT inspection!

[IMG]20210221_095501[1] by Mike Lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20210221_110751[1] by Mike Lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 21-02-2021, 01:51 PM

I think you would need to get a new one made up and flared up.

I’ve tried myself on another car and it can be a bit of a nightmare, even using a top quality flaring tool! :)

Last edited by urquattrogus; 21-02-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 21-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Administrator

From what I have been told the pipes from BMW are not pre bent to shape but only to the correct length so they still need plenty of work
Old 21-02-2021, 02:54 PM

We had to do this on 70% of the brake pipes on my 850csi, a lot of work indeed but needs doing!
Old 21-02-2021, 07:03 PM

Default brake pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
From what I have been told the pipes from BMW are not pre bent to shape but only to the correct length so they still need plenty of work
I made the mistake of ordering this brake pipe from BMW thinking it would be pre bent to the correct shape, I was wrong it comes as one long length with the ends already made up, bit of a nightmare to fit if you are doing it off the floor with the car on axle stands.

I ended up buying a decent flaring tool and a coil of the Kunifer pipe and a selection of fittings, its much easier to bend as required without kinking it.
Old 21-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
I made the mistake of ordering this brake pipe from BMW thinking it would be pre bent to the correct shape, I was wrong it comes as one long length with the ends already made up, bit of a nightmare to fit if you are doing it off the floor with the car on axle stands.

I ended up buying a decent flaring tool and a coil of the Kunifer pipe and a selection of fittings, its much easier to bend as required without kinking it.
I have ordered a length of Kunifer What flaring tool did you use?

any thoughts on this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pip...Cclp%3A2047675
Old 22-02-2021, 07:43 PM

Default Flaring tool

Hi Mike it was similar to this one, ITT413701 Trident Brake Hand Held Pipe Flaring Tool 3/16" Do some practicing before actually making one for the car, once you get the knack its pretty straight forward.
Oh, and make sure you have the actual fitting on the pipe before flaring he last end as its easy to forget. wink wink.

Stoney

Tags
brake pipes