Standard Exaust S/S or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Exaust S/S or not?

Are the rear cans on the standard exuaust system stainless steel?

Definitely. I've got a OE rear silencer dissected in my workshop and all the innerds are SS too.
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
      Definitely. I've got a OE rear silencer dissected in my workshop and all the innerds are SS too.
      How is this project going ?

Comment

CRUELTY TO EXHAUSTS!!!!!!

Hows it going Dr Frankenstein
        Black S50

Comment

Cheers exdos thats my plans made up for the weekend. :) Any recommendations as to what to use for removal of the black coating?
          Gav.

Comment

nitro morrs? (or however you spell it)
            then wet and dry
            Gruppe M
            EBC redstuff Pads
            EBC drilled and grooved discs
            Braided brake lines
            Gun-metal alloys
            Strong Strutt
            KW Variant 3

Comment

Simon and Tony,

I've dissected one of the silencers in a way that I can easily weld it back together. I've had a good look inside the box and I've found what I think will be a relatively simple way of considerably improving the flow through the box, but the unknown will be how noisy it will be :?:

I have a few ideas of how I can adjust the tuning of the exhausts, but I want to be able to do this without having to get inside the silencers and break and remake the seal each time I adjust. I usually like to have a long period of thinking time rather than setting about things in haste and then spending loads of effort in redoing things later that I could've got right in the first place had I given matters further thought from the outset.

FYI, the rear silencers are actually double-skinned rather than made from one piece of sheet of stainless steel, so the rewelding will be a little more delicate than if the things were made of thicker sheet. The double skin is obviously for ease of manufacture; where the innerds are made as a "cartridge" which is then packed inside the outer skin before welding on the two ends.

I think the key to getting my exhaust mod right is being able to seperate the thinking of how best to handle the flow of the exhuast gases whilst simultaneously thinking of ways of keeping the sound waves under control. It would be dead easy to make the flow through the box directly straight through, but that wouldn't pass the MOT and I'd also find that unbearable for normal use.

I promise to keep you both posted of how things work when I've finally decided of the simplest and most effective method of achieving the desired result.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by Gav Z3 M Coupe
                Cheers exdos thats my plans made up for the weekend. :) Any recommendations as to what to use for removal of the black coating?
                Gav.
                I've used an electric sander with very fine grade wet and dry paper.
                /// Exdos ///

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                  Originally posted by Gav Z3 M Coupe
                  Gav.
                  I've used an electric sander with very fine grade wet and dry paper.
                  Cheers :wink:

Comment

Exdos, I don't think there will be a problem with the MOT as afaik there isn't a specific noise limit, they just look for leaks.

Comment

Working...
                    X