X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcantara z3m steering wheel

e-trimmed steering wheels on ebay, also leather/alcantara

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-Z3...item43ade3348a
    Last edited by Dave P; 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM.

I'm pretty certain that this is the guy that I just got my new wheel off - based on Keith's recommendation.

I went for leather with perforated leather sides, much like the wheel on my E91. The wheels have extra padding so are noticeably thicker than OEM.

The guy's name is Jack Mizerski (jamizerski@yahoo.co.uk). I dropped him a mail on Monday and it turned out that he had the wheel I wanted in stock and lived just 10 min from me so I popped round on Wednesday and exchanged wheels. I paid £99.

I had a look at the alcantara ones while I was there. Like the leather ones, they look like a very professional job, but alcantara wheels just don't do it for me.

I've not had a chance to go for a drive with it yet, but definitely like the feel of it so far. Jack's very responsive and good to deal with, so if you're interested I'd recommend dropping him a mail as unless the extra £40 is for alcantara, he's asking a bit more on ebay than off.

Paul

Comment

there's also this company in Germany,

http://cgi.ebay.de/STEERING-WHEEL-SE...item414ca9ce11

Comment

awesome, another mod to add to the list. Any pics on the car pdwarren?

Comment

Originally posted by shantybeater View Post
          Any pics on the car
          Not yet - will get some when I'm back from hols next week.

Paul

Comment

Paul got his from the same guy that did mine, so I'm guessing it's exactly the same;

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Do you need any special tools to change the wheel over with the airbag ?

Comment

Nothing more special than some torx bits - T30 I think - to undo the screws on the back that hold the airbag on, then a 17mm socket, extension and a decent length bar to undo the nut on the wheel.

You should disconnect the battery and leave the car for a while before disconnecting the airbag.

Keith - yep - looks pretty much just like that, although with blue inserts. Swapping those over was probably the hardest part of the job. Although it's easy enough once you know where to apply the brute force

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by zjamiez View Post
                  Do you need any special tools to change the wheel over with the airbag ?
                  Guide HERE

just go to section 6 on removing the OEM wheel and make sure battery is disconnected as stated above.

pretty easy really just be careful with the slipring screws as easy to overtighten them and break the plastic thread !
                  VIDEO or Journal

Comment

I have been on the look out for an alcantara steering wheel for my car for a while now; so I got in touch with Jack and did the deal. Should be with me in time for the weekend.

After 100k it is the steering wheel in my car that is really showing its age, shiny and slippy and not great in a tactile way.

Although I am sure I will always find the diameter of the steering wheel on our MC's just a little too big, I really wanted to keep a stock look (alcantara aside) and am sure that the thicker steering wheel on these recovered wheels, will be much more comfortable and overall exactly the improvement that I feel it needs.

Can I just check with anybody who has replaced their steering wheel, are you completely sure I am not going to kill myself as long as I disconnect the battery and leave it for say 1 hour before removing the airbag?
                    Have to say I am quite nervous about this bit!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on these steering wheels, exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Hi there
                      I am currently waiting for jack to "do mine" the same as Keith's,the chap is very responsive to mails etc...i did mention that he was being discussed on this forum and was pleasantly suprised...cant wait to get it on my car!!!

Comment

if anyone is thinking of exchanging their steering wheel and getting it retrimmed there is a very cheap second hand wheel on ebay, so that you could keep your original wheel and exchange the cheap ebay one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-M3-M-T...item3cacdedce1

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                          if anyone is thinking of exchanging their steering wheel and getting it retrimmed there is a very cheap second hand wheel on ebay, so that you could keep your original wheel and exchange the cheap ebay one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-M3-M-T...item3cacdedce1
                          The fella who is Royal steering wheels has a source of steering wheels....as when i met up with him..my new one was ready to be put on...didnt need to send my ols one off..just send him a mail with what you want.....he will then send your new one out and then once changed over just send your old one back!

Comment

He does have exchange wheels too for £100 refundable.

Have mine fitted, certainly an improvement over the original. Just wish we could get a smaller wheel more easily/cheaply

Comment

Does anyone know if a smaller BMW M wheel can be fitted to the MC easily?

Comment

Working...
                              X