Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Got 2 quarts from Opie oils end of last week so i thought i would do the gearbox oil change today..

CW has mentioned this stuff on more than one occasion,so thought it must be worth a try as "lifetme" oil IMHO is not a good thing..

Result...

If you havent already done this....DO IT!........The gearbox shift is transformed...

The actual shift wasnt that bad,just a little slow and heavy...

With the Amsoil fitted immedietly the shift was lighter,faster and more positive.Even the slight reluctance of the gear lever to return from 5th gear to centre has gone,it returns perfectly now..

I have only done around 10 miles/25 mins driving so we will see if it improves further...I cant see how it will though..

Honestly the best £34 i have ever spent!......

I'll second this, changed it a while ago now but noticed a big difference

Comment

I'm booked in for this on Saturday, hope it cures my problems!

Comment

I had mine done last week - must say I havent noticed any real difference.

I dont think mine was too bad before but I have only used it for commuting, no "in anger" gear changes as yet!
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinaman View Post
          Got 2 quarts from Opie oils end of last week so i thought i would do the gearbox oil change today..
          How much of a DIY job is this? It's another job I'm contemplating doing.
          Col N.
          Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
          ex Audi S4 Avant
          ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
          ex Porsche 968

Comment

It's not too bad, but you have to get the car fairly high and level to drain and refill. Also need a device to pump it into the gearbox. Drain and fill plugs are normal socket heads.

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            I had mine done last week - must say I havent noticed any real difference.

I dont think mine was too bad before but I have only used it for commuting, no "in anger" gear changes as yet!
            Was this using the AMSOIL MTF?
            Last edited by c_w; 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinaman View Post

CW has mentioned this stuff on more than one occasion,so thought it must be worth a try as "lifetme" oil IMHO is not a good thing..

Result...

If you havent already done this....DO IT!........The gearbox shift is transformed...

The actual shift wasnt that bad,just a little slow and heavy...

With the Amsoil fitted immedietly the shift was lighter,faster and more positive.Even the slight reluctance of the gear lever to return from 5th gear to centre has gone,it returns perfectly now..

I have only done around 10 miles/25 mins driving so we will see if it improves further...I cant see how it will though..

Honestly the best £34 i have ever spent!......
              Glad it's worked for you! I found it took a while for it to be properly "worked" in to the gears to get them all coated with it, so it may get even better??!

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post

Was this using the AMSOIL MTF?
                It was yes. I have probably done about 100 miles since but can't tell any difference.
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Sounds good....!!

The bung sizes are 17mm for information...

Both pretty tight too...

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                    It was yes. I have probably done about 100 miles since but can't tell any difference.
                    Maybe your oil was in good condition before then! When I first changed to AMSOIL the way it "fell" into 5th gear changing up from 4th was really noticeable after the old oil, it just went in so easily (and the 5th return spring was fixed to in winter).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                      Maybe your oil was in good condition before then! When I first changed to AMSOIL the way it "fell" into 5th gear changing up from 4th was really noticeable after the old oil, it just went in so easily (and the 5th return spring was fixed to in winter).
                      I was certainly expecting some improvement based upon the positive comments on here, plus with it being 9 years old, assuming it hasn't been changed before. I need to take it for a real drive and see.

Comment

I have to say that the oil that came out of the gearbox didnt look in bad order to be honest...

Very clean and viscosity seemed fine..

But the Amsoil has made the shift lovely...What did feel a little clumsy and agricultural now feels slick and precise..

Happy days!

Comment

I had the gearbox oil changed and also a braided clutch hose fitted yesterday, what a difference, the gear change is so smooth it feels like a new box, the clutch feels nice and light and the problem I had with the gear stick leaning to the right has corrected itself, so well worth doing!

Comment

I spoke to the chaps at Opie and they have advised me to use the Amsoil Auto transmission fluid not the manual fluid. Is this right? They said the manual fluid will make no real difference.

Comment

The MTF made a big difference on mine. Think MTF is generally a little thicker than ATF. Certainly when cold the AMSOIL MTF is very good so cold performance isn't a worry.

TBH if the car is used hard it's more about the hot performance and I would have though a slightly thicker (manual) oil would be better. My car was suffering from light crunches in to 4th if I rushed it at a very hot Donington trackday earlier this year, when it cooled it seemed fine again but I refreshed the oil anyway incase it had degraded and it seems fine so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X