Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

subframe/bootfloor failures in S54 Z3MC's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subframe/bootfloor failures in S54 Z3MC's ?

is there any evidence of this ? as i dont recall ever reading about any ?

i only ask, as i guess this is the last year anyone would get a chance of 'BMW goodwill' towards any repairs, so interested to know more! (10yrs)

i think the latest registered ones were 52? so come 2003, if any do fail, its not gonna be good.

Click here to email me

Mines fine at almost 190K now - I understand some modifications were made to the S54 shell to remove this weakness.
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

didn't Bens S54 have a repair done by BMW?

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
        Mines fine at almost 190K now - I understand some modifications were made to the S54 shell to remove this weakness.
        thanks ian. i think you might drive it like a girl, thats prob why it hasnt failed yet (yet)

Originally posted by dave p View Post
        didn't Bens S54 have a repair done by BMW?
        cheers! found it

thats the only one? or any others...?

Click here to email me

Comment

I don't dare check mine! No symptoms though <touching wood>
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            I don't dare check mine! No symptoms though <touching wood>
            i still think that every owner should do regular checks on this area! symptoms or not!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

I've heard of S54's on bimmerforums in the USA having it done although they do seem less prone after the thicker diff bracket was fitted ?
              VIDEO or Journal

Comment

I don't think S54s are immune to this at all. Even the diff bracket looks identical. I think we haven't seen so many is Dow to 4 things.

1. S54s are newer, so anything age/mileage related has had less time to take effect.
                2. S54s are much fewer in number to begin with, so the incidents would also be less.
                3. S54s do seem to have more spot welds in the affected area of the boot floor giving some increase in strength.
                4. S54s are being identified as more collectible and acquired by people that know what they have and want to look after it, rather than rag the crap out

Comment

Yes I think it's for those reasons above. Don't forget that the E46 M3 was made for a few years after the Z3M stopped production and they are regularly being reported to fail too. Different car but same principle of failure.

The diff bracket is fractionally thicker but this doesn't really solve the problem as the majority of the failures are not the diff bracket breaking (although this can happen) it is the boot floor/cross member detaching from the side chassis rail. More spot welds obviously help but the thin boot floor may still ahve some degree of flex despite the increase in weld.

Comment

Working...
                  X