Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot floor

Hi

Trying to learn as much as I can about these before I buy this spring. The boot floor issue is an obvious area of concern. As I am likely to be buying an S50 (due to budget) I wondered if this was ever addressed by BWM and if so what age cars should I be cautious of.

I have used search but I can't really find a definitive answer to if it is localised to a production period or if it affects all Z3MC's.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

It affects all of them inc Roadsters. often the floor isnt too bad, however the differential hanger tends to rip with age.

if it's caught before it's too bad (i.e just a couple of popped spot welds) - to fix and replace diff hanger shouldn't be much more than a few hundred pounds.

HTH

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
    2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

To seam weld the whole boot floor is not a difficult or expensive job for a good welder even if it has gone quite badly........It takes more time to scrape the sound deadening and corrosion prevention goop off than it does to weld it up. You could save on the bill by doing that bit yourself if your car develops the issue.

Alternatively you could be like an extra from Watchdog and do what exdos on here reckons is the way forward......Throw it back at BMW and then demand that they honour a warranty claim on a 10+ year old car!

I wouldn't let this potential issue put you off buying an MC. Just like Vanos, the boot floor thing gets talked about and therefore makes people scared to buy......If they break just get 'em fixed, neither problem is very expensive and there are some helpful people on here to point you in the right direction!
      Last edited by fok; 19-05-2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X