X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        Some later press features like men and motors tv programme and top gear featured cars with the reg ending T*** ARX of which a Dakar is still owned by a forum member
        We've got an Imola, T648ARX... does anyone know if this was a press car?

Cheers,
        Pad

Comment

Originally posted by brightonpad View Post
          We've got an Imola, T648ARX... does anyone know if this was a press car?

Cheers,
          Pad
          Some of the early press cars had strange options which will show by using a vin decoder also many had drivers fire extinguisher fitted

Comment

Some of the early press cars had strange options which will show by using a vin decoder also many had drivers fire extinguisher fitted

option 902 "Special inspection press vehicles"

Comment

Vin numbers of the early S50 press cars are

LB29012 BLACK WITH RED TRIM
              LB29013 ESTORIL AND BLUE TRIM
              LB29014 ESTORIL AND BLUE TRIM
              LB29015 ESTORIL AND BLUE TRIM
              LB29016 IMOLA RED AND RED TRIM
              LB29017 IMOLA RED AND RED TRIM
              LB29018 IMOLA RED AND RED TRIM - S236 GAN
              Last edited by Dave P; 13-05-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Cars with similar registrations as press cars may not be "press" but may have been "staff" cars registered to BMW UK

Comment

Oh that's interesting - we have a drivers fire extinguisher, I've never thought to look at the date one it!

I've a friend who worked at BMW at the time and said that 'ARX' would have come out of Bracknell and were BMW UK cars, but nothing more than that...

Comment

Ours is LB29518 btw... :)

Comment

.... and I've just checked and it had the S902 option. The plot thickens!

Comment

Originally posted by brightonpad View Post
                        .... and I've just checked and it had the S902 option. The plot thickens!
                        It would be interesting to know hat this option actually meant but I would imagine only BMW would have that information and may not want to share.
                        Last edited by Dave P; 14-05-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I'd imagine its the "don't screw it up" extra checks and optimisations for a press car

Although not to the extent of the "150mph" Jaguar E Type Autocar Tested :)

Actually I still can't get over how scathing Autocar were of the M Coupe that they gave the full road test treatment, they gave it three stars but it read moire like 2 stars.

I know the Coupe has it's quirks and problems but it just seems all wrong as a review compared to other period reviews.
                          Last edited by urquattrogus; 14-05-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
                            I'd imagine its the "don't screw it up" extra checks and optimisations for a press car

Although not to the extent of the "150mph" Jaguar E Type Autocar Tested :)

Actually I still can't get over how scathing Autocar were of the M Coupe that they gave the full road test treatment, they gave it three stars but it read moire like 2 stars.

I know the Coupe has it's quirks and problems but it just seems all wrong as a review compared to other period reviews.
                            And yet Top gear awarded it best drivers car when introduced.

Didn't Rover tweak the 220 turbo press cars so journalists thought they were rapid but they were in fact *hit

Comment

I wonder if black S50 currently for sale is a press car - GAN reg and extinguisher fitted

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...--1999/9747157#

Comment

I wonder if black S50 currently for sale is a press car - GAN reg and extinguisher fitted

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...--1999/9747157#

Maybe not as its a October 1998?

Comment

Working...
                                X