Refurbishing- HELP - PLEASE log in and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbishing- HELP - PLEASE log in and help

After 3 years and 30k miles I've started the restoration process, started with the underbody in May and now the repaint.

Full underbody restoration, covering all brakes (pads,discs,calipers,backing shields, braided hoses, sensors), Bilstein B6 shocks, Eibach springs, steering items like trackrod ends, all mountings, all bushes, new clutch, handbrake cables, all the various pipe work etc. All stripped, repainted and reassembled.

Now it's a window out repaint, replacing all panels (rear, front and sills).

THE ASK FOR HELP BIT - where is the best place to get side mirrors and what type of discounts are people getting for the panels ?

As in the other thread, all panels are BMW only, you might get 10% if you ask nicely or you are a member of the BMWCC.

Sills are around £190/side, front wings are £250, rear arches around £450.

Comment

Soper BMW in Lincoln are pretty good for discount if you can collect. Give them a call and mention zroadster.org, should get you a competitive price compared to your local dealer
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Get a list of part numbers you need from realoem & Call all the dealers your prepared to travel to. Even if there's two owned by the same company their all on competition & all have targets to hit.

It sounds like you will be spending £2,000 so worth shopping around.

Comment

I got this quote about a year ago.

http://www.bmwforums.info/harry-fair...z3m-coupe.html

Don't know if the prices will still be accurate but should give you a rough idea.

Never did get around to ordering the parts, house deposit got in the way but will get them eventually, sooner rather than later hopefully so would be interested to hear what you find.

As far as I am aware part numbers are correct but you might want to double check before ordering anything.

Comment

Originally posted by alanw89 View Post
            I got this quote about a year ago.

http://www.bmwforums.info/harry-fair...z3m-coupe.html

Don't know if the prices will still be accurate but should give you a rough idea.

Never did get around to ordering the parts, house deposit got in the way but will get them eventually, sooner rather than later hopefully so would be interested to hear what you find.

As far as I am aware part numbers are correct but you might want to double check before ordering anything.
            Look good prices, I'm after some parts too so this is really helpful - thanks. I wonder if we could 'bulk buy' and get delivered to different locations? :)
            2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Having trouble getting the rear panels - if anyone is aware of a dealer with existing stock please let me know.

Oh well, once started there is no going back.

Comment

if you do find one please let me know
                2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by fatcat View Post
                  Thanks for the replies.

Having trouble getting the rear panels - if anyone is aware of a dealer with existing stock please let me know.

Oh well, once started there is no going back.
                  No dealer will have the rear arches in stock - I would expect any dealer to say if they can get them from BMW AG in Germany and if not there'll be a wait for some from the USA.

Comment

Along with the current exchange rate, could be a bit more than quoted!

Comment

i bought the rear panells last year and they had to come from germany ,i recall they were £600 but got a bit of discount through the chap who sprayed it.i still have the old ones and was told that they could be easily repaired (rust on front arches) .if they are any good to you let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I'm looking to replace with new ones. As all the side panels, sills etc will be new I hope to avoid the annual minor work to keep the rust at bay.

Over the years the colour matching between the panels was less than ideal, hence the complete job with new panels.

At this stage it looks like I will get them via UK dealers at about 2/3rd the current euro price but with about 2-3 weeks delay.So being patient.

Now my problem is side mirrors !!!

Comment

Its normally only the bases that go poo,can easily be sorted.

Comment

Working...
                          X