Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member, looking patiently for the right Coupe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, looking patiently for the right Coupe...

Hi guys.

Felt I should introduce myself before posting noob type questions all over the forum...

My name is Keith and I'm a 26 yr old Engineer at Heathrow. I've been driving BMWs since my first car (E36 328) and have driven them ever since (3/4 cars). I now drive a low mileage 2003 330 Clubsport, which I absolutely cherish, and do pretty much all the work on myself, unless it requires a stamp in the book to retain its value. I could not imagine being in another Marque tbh. BMW ticks all the boxes for me; poise, balance, build and performance. I've bought some fairly average BMWs in the past, but I'm not shy to invest time and money, and have sold them on as mint examples. I'm quite proud to say that my CS wants for nothing, cosmetically or maintenance wise as we are. I'm a little OCD and must address everything. I know ///Ms need this more than most. I'll post up some pictures of the CS if anybody cares...

The ///M scratch must be itched soon, and the Z3M Coupe has intrigued me since release. An obvious choice for me would be an E46 M3... They are very good cars with a healthy practicality argument... But sod that. I want a drivers car.

So the search is on. I'm in no rush (unless the perfect car came along...), and have a relaxed attitude that I'm happy to stay in the Clubsport for up to another 18 months, whilst I keep my eye out for the perfect Z3MC. Condition is more important than spec, but an S54 is a big criteria, although I could be tempted by the right S50... I'm here to refine my conceptions.

I've learnt about the spot weld issue, and am well acquainted with the vanos issues through my close association with my home forum (e36coupe), and familiarity with the E36 Evo. I'm also fairly prolific on e46zone too, and must say I do love a good forum... I trust this little online community will be as tight and have a good vibe just like my other two.

Looking forward to spending some time here, and please be patient with me if I have to ask the odd dumb question or do not make full use of the search facility from time to time. I really do want to join you lot in ownership.

Cheers guys,

Keith

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Welcome Keith,
    "poise, balance, build and performance" - very well put although I have never been quite sure what poise means. The more times you say it to yourself the more confusing it becomes.

The E46 M3 is great if you have brats but if you don't then why have 4 seats and an inconvenient interior layout?

It sounds like you have already made your mind up to buy a Z3MC. Work out what you want colour/S54orS50/mileage etc then keep watching here and pistonheads until the right car turns up. It may take numerous months. If you have the patience then it will be worth it.

Best of luck.
    Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Welcome Keith and good luck with your search!

Being a member of other larger forums, it's nice sometimes to just come in here for a bit of 'R&R'!!!!
      Black S50

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes patient is what I'll have to be, but thats no worry. It takes time to find the perfect car, especially when they are as rare as these.

@Coupe Fan - 'Poise' for me is the way a car behaves itself on the road, the way it conducts itself and holds the tarmac. I love the way a BMW feels to drive; they always seem to nail it. The only time one doesn't IMO is when they fall into the hands of people that would rather tint thier lights than see to their bushes

Some very interesting topics on here regarding prices. From wht I can tell prices are all over at the moment - it seems every now and then, a decent S54 will come up for as little as £12k+, whilst there are early S50s up for that too. I guess the ZMCs are sensitive to condition & mileage. As I have time on my side, I'll jut try to keep an ear to the ground and spend some time watching the market. Shame is, that I guess you have to be quick - new ones don't seem to become available all that often, and if they do at a fair price, they no doubt get snapped up fairly quickly!

The first serious contenter for my attention, or at least a viewing, is one local that my friend from another forum has suggested to look at; he knows the seller and vouches for its condition. Its a 1998, although it is apparently very clean, 60k, and a new vanos 9k ago. Its up for £11.5k which initially I thought might be a little much for a 1998, but if its clean and has the new vanos, would you guys say that is worth a look? It was advertised at a higher price before, and has been for sale for abour 6 weeks iirc. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for an early model if the price/spec is right? I ask as coming from the 3 series scene, early E46 models were inferior to the later ones, which had any issues ironed out.

Sorry foor the long noob question *embarrased*

Thanks,
        Keith
        Last edited by -Keith-; 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
          . Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for an early model if the price/spec is right? I ask as coming from the 3 series scene, early E46 models were inferior to the later ones, which had any issues ironed out.
          Keith - as far as I know, what with the limited production numbers, 'old school' chassis and the fact that the S50 engine was getting on towards the end of its life when the first MCs were coming out, there are few significant differences between early and late S50 models. Albeit with a few seemingly random changes in switch layout!

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thanks for that clarification.

Do you know if there were any chassis or other updated components on the S54s?

The more I think about it, the more certain I am an S54 is the only model I could live with. Reason being, realistically, it will be a low mileage daily (I do about 8k a year), and going from a E46 cabin with all the toys to what is essentially an E36 cabin (sorry boys!) is one thing, but then having the constant worry of a tired S50 would be a little too much I think.

Part of the reason I am overjoyed with my 330, is that it's so smooth, I've addressed everything mechanically/maintenance wise and its low mileage, so I never worry about it. Stepping up to a performance car thats 5 years older, and with potential mechanical worry would be difficult.

Just to clarify; I know these cars are not bought for practicality or smooth running, but a later S54 would at least put to bed some of those worries. I have £11500 now, so I think I had better save up for another year. I think I'll need about £14-£16k to get that kind of S54 I want...

Comment

good luck with the search

i wouldnt discount the s50 you might miss a cracker
              [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
                Hi guys.

Felt I should introduce myself before posting noob type questions all over the forum...

My name is Keith and I'm a 26 yr old Engineer at Heathrow. I've been driving BMWs since my first car (E36 328) and have driven them ever since (3/4 cars). I now drive a low mileage 2003 330 Clubsport, which I absolutely cherish, and do pretty much all the work on myself, unless it requires a stamp in the book to retain its value. I could not imagine being in another Marque tbh. BMW ticks all the boxes for me; poise, balance, build and performance. I've bought some fairly average BMWs in the past, but I'm not shy to invest time and money, and have sold them on as mint examples. I'm quite proud to say that my CS wants for nothing, cosmetically or maintenance wise as we are. I'm a little OCD and must address everything. I know ///Ms need this more than most. I'll post up some pictures of the CS if anybody cares...

The ///M scratch must be itched soon, and the Z3M Coupe has intrigued me since release. An obvious choice for me would be an E46 M3... They are very good cars with a healthy practicality argument... But sod that. I want a drivers car.

So the search is on. I'm in no rush (unless the perfect car came along...), and have a relaxed attitude that I'm happy to stay in the Clubsport for up to another 18 months, whilst I keep my eye out for the perfect Z3MC. Condition is more important than spec, but an S54 is a big criteria, although I could be tempted by the right S50... I'm here to refine my conceptions.

I've learnt about the spot weld issue, and am well acquainted with the vanos issues through my close association with my home forum (e36coupe), and familiarity with the E36 Evo. I'm also fairly prolific on e46zone too, and must say I do love a good forum... I trust this little online community will be as tight and have a good vibe just like my other two.

Looking forward to spending some time here, and please be patient with me if I have to ask the odd dumb question or do not make full use of the search facility from time to time. I really do want to join you lot in ownership.

Cheers guys,

Keith
                Hello Keith,

All i can say is that you have come to the right place.........

I was in your shoes a few months ago and the Forum members have been very patient and supportive and most importantly helpful to me. Like you i have been looking for a good S54 and its a bit like girls, the harder you look the less good examples you see.....

Its almost impossible to have a laid back approach to finding a good one, you think your the first to see it but 10 others have beaten you to your quarry...!

You have the benefit that i havent, you know cars and engines. In the end my luck changed and my ship came in and i got a beautiful Steel Grey S54 at the weekend from a BMW dealership.....Sure you pay a little over the odds but realistically i was never going to hand over £15/16k on someones driveway so spent £18k but actually feel very fortunate and dont feel ripped off in the slightest.

I would say forget about getting a bargain because everyone on this site knows each other and knows each others cars. Save up, keep your eyes peeled 24/7 and be prepared to throw a sicky to be the first to the post....
                Sytners BMW-Steel Grey S54-Red/Black Leather-Totally Standard.....

Comment

Originally posted by N7KHO View Post
                  Hello Keith,

All i can say is that you have come to the right place.........

I was in your shoes a few months ago and the Forum members have been very patient and supportive and most importantly helpful to me. Like you i have been looking for a good S54 and its a bit like girls, the harder you look the less good examples you see.....

Its almost impossible to have a laid back approach to finding a good one, you think your the first to see it but 10 others have beaten you to your quarry...!

You have the benefit that i havent, you know cars and engines. In the end my luck changed and my ship came in and i got a beautiful Steel Grey S54 at the weekend from a BMW dealership.....Sure you pay a little over the odds but realistically i was never going to hand over £15/16k on someones driveway so spent £18k but actually feel very fortunate and dont feel ripped off in the slightest.

I would say forget about getting a bargain because everyone on this site knows each other and knows each others cars. Save up, keep your eyes peeled 24/7 and be prepared to throw a sicky to be the first to the post....
                  Thanks for the input mate. You are a very lucky guy - what an S54 you have got yourself! Colour is absolutely stunning.

I'm trying to be patient. My heart says go buy a sweet S50 tomorrow, my head says hold on and save a bit more, and wait for the right S54...

I know all about throwing sickies and waiting for the perfect car... I bought my current 'perfect' car (a limited production, low mileage 330 Clubsport) from North Scotland; I'm in South England. Secured first refusal on the phone, one plane trip and an 8.5 hour drive later, the car was on my drive

My eyes are peeled for the next perfect car ;)

Comment

Patience is a virtue. I spent a considerable time lurking and keeping an eye on the market 5 years ago prior to buying mine. I was convinced my budget at the time would only stretch to a S50. But surprisingly to me I saw an S54 advertised at a BMW dealer (amongst the many I had been watching) suddenly drop £3.5k in price. I drove over to have a look and was smitten. The windscreen sticker still quoted the higher price but I pointed out the dealer website (and autotrader) price and the salesman checked with his stock book and confirmed the lower price. I couldn't believe my luck and put down a deposit.
                    The following day the sales manager rang to say there had been a mistake in the pricing - effectively a single mistake had rippled through the various computer systems to show a consistent pricing picture everywhere except on the windscreen sticker! He said he couldn't supply the car at the lower price. I stuck to my guns saying we had a contract and eventually they caved.
                    I was very lucky but by keeping a watching eye you will eventually find the right car. Good hunting!
                    Col N.
                    Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
                    ex Audi S4 Avant
                    ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
                    ex Porsche 968

Comment

Originally posted by ZiggyCol View Post
                      ...The following day the sales manager rang to say there had been a mistake in the pricing - effectively a single mistake had rippled through the various computer systems to show a consistent pricing picture everywhere except on the windscreen sticker! He said he couldn't supply the car at the lower price. I stuck to my guns saying we had a contract and eventually they caved.
                      Lucky Barstool! I don't think there is any chance of that happening, but I hear what you're saying.

I'm checking all the usual places 3 times a day (having a bloody iPhone I can't help myself)... At this rate though I'll no doubt go nuts within a month or so, cave in, and buy the nearest S50

Comment

Welcome Keith,

You sound like a sensible chap who actually wants a car!

I owned a Z3M for two years and this forum proved an excellent resource prior, during and even after my ownership - also making a few mates along the way. The fact that I am still browsing this forum is testament to the Z3M Coupe and the clientelle on the forum!

With regards to the S50 vs S54 debate, its interesting.

Visually, there is nothing in it other than a few cosmetics and additional colour options.

From an engine point of view, its a little different.

The power is roughly the same but both engines have their pros and cons.

The S50 engine IMO doesnt sound as good / smooth as the S54 and you have the potential for Vanos growl (note: I haven't mentioned Vanos failure!). If you can live with some Vanos noise and some minor preventative measures relating to strengthened bolts and filters, the S50 will go on for miles!

The S54 is a much smoother engine and I love the raspy sound, but people will mention and share their experiences of bearing shell failure.

With no clear optimum, keep both options open and buy on condition.

I can't stress this enough.
                        Z3M's are affordable to buy but some owners think they can afford to neglect them or run them on a shoestring.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                          Welcome Keith,

You sound like a sensible chap who actually wants a car!
                          Hah, thank you Rags. Yes, I am very certain I will be in a Z Coupe soon. Many nice BMW's can be had for the same sort of money, but these have had my attention for a while, and for me, now seems like a good time to buy an impractical, 2-seat, ///Money pit (i.e. before the missus gets broody and all that).

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                          The S50 engine IMO doesnt sound as good / smooth as the S54 and you have the potential for Vanos growl (note: I haven't mentioned Vanos failure!). If you can live with some Vanos noise and some minor preventative measures relating to strengthened bolts and filters, the S50 will go on for miles!

The S54 is a much smoother engine and I love the raspy sound, but people will mention and share their experiences of bearing shell failure.

With no clear optimum, keep both options open and buy on condition.

I can't stress this enough.
                          Z3M's are affordable to buy but some owners think they can afford to neglect them or run them on a shoestring.
                          I particularly like your last paragraph. Being a BMW owner and (other) forum member for years, I know this only too well. Blow the budget on the car, leave nothing for the care and attention, servicing, and general niggle-sorting (not to mention pampering) that the car needs. I buy a car expecting to throw another grand on it immediately to address almost inevitable niggles.

I am familiar with both lumps after driving 3s for years, however when it comes to new car time even I am airing on the side of caution. I know of plenty of people with well cared for M3s who have chatty Vanos' but still are going strong and pulling like horses. I know the whole vanos thing is blown up somewhat, but now its me taking the plunge to an older car, I do worry. However; your points above make perfect sense and I agree strongly with 'keep both options open and buy on condition'.

I must admit, I to and fro almost hourly regarding taking the plunge to sell my current car - which is making the buying process harder tbh. I've had it 7 months and turned a pretty-good low-mileage example into a mint-condition looker (IMO of course), through hard work and attention; money too! I was driving it to work today, revelling in how tight and 'right' it felt after all the maintenance I've done on it, mostly myself. It literally wants for nothing. It makes it sad to think I'll sell it after getting it to where it is.

Have a look at the advert; http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.p...pic=11787&st=0

The point of me going on there (sorry), is that I'm worried about buying an older car which may not have been treated like I keep mine. I guess that's why I might be waiting a while, as it will have to be special, however I know thats the risk you always take when buying a new car.

Could you guys let me know if you see any cars that you know (and have been looked after) come up for sale? S50 or S54? I'd really appreciate the insider knowledge to help aid the decisions.

Cheers Guys,

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith,

You obviously know alot about cars and especially BM`s.

I know alot about human nature and i would say push for an S54, its basically a better car. The S50 is fine but will be much harder to shift when re-sale time comes around.

I have been looking for months and the S54`s even though priced higher are sold within days sometimes hours.....whereas S50`s hang around for weeks/months. Sure this will make your search more tiresome and traumatic but ultimately more satisfying. I am the kind of person that believes in patience and fate. There will be the right S54 out there, you may need to be less fussy about colour than with an S50 but at the end of the day compramise is never a good thing...

The S54 engine is the best BMW has ever made, need i say more......
                            Sytners BMW-Steel Grey S54-Red/Black Leather-Totally Standard.....

Comment

Another point to note is that the S50 seems to suffer from the bearing shell failures too so its not just an S54 issue. BMW have replaced an S54 engine that failed due to bearing shell issues on a few occasions documented on this site not sure about any S50 ones.

Also with an S54 you know you are getting 325 bhp. With an S50 it can vary 270-320 bhp but who knows !
                              Ex 2001 S54
                              New cars:
                              Lotus Carlton
                              350Z

Comment

Working...
                              X