Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Problems Once Warm

Hey Guys,

For the past couple of weeks the M Coupe has started to give idle issues once warmed up. It hangs around the 500rpm mark and sounds like the engine is missing. The exhaust note is also different, sharper, through the revs and feels like it is down on power slightly unless you really give it a boot full. Engine runs like a dream cold.

I'm guessing it is a dodgy ignition coil, has anyone got the Bently book to hand? I need the resitance check procedure to see which ones are faulty, if any, before I go off and order a full set.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

If you draw a blank on the resistance check procedure, I can whip a couple of coil packs off mine and lend them for process of elimination. I work in and am about Barnet a fair bit if thats anywhere near your part of Norf London. PM me if rqd.

Comment

Thanks for that Echo. I did live in Finchley, but I now live a little further West. I'm currently trying to get my INPA software to work on an old laptop, so hopefully I'll get full diagnostics up and running soon. I'll give you a shout if I still get no joy.

Ta,

Paul

Comment

Update

Hey Guys,

Finally got the INPA diagnostic software working on an old laptop with xp. The errors codes state that it is a vanos exhaust side fault, opening too early. See image below.

There are two other errors, but I think the vanos error causes the other two, see below.

Now the problem only occurs hot, so I'm guessing the wiring to the solenoid pack on the exhaust side is weak or loose, so I think I need to take the solenoid pack out over Christmas to inspect, and fix if required.

Does anyone have an exhaust side Vanos solenoid pack lying around I can try or buy, just in case mine is fubar?

Merry Christmas,

Paul

Comment

Update 2

Hey Guys,

I have stripped the solenoids from the exhaust side of the vanos and have done a resistance and operational check. They functioned fine under ambient conditions, but I then warmed them in the oven to 100degC and the exhaust advance solenoid seams to give an intermittent error. I don't think it is the wiring, so it looks like I need a new solenoid.

Does anyone have a spare set of solenoids lying around, or an old vanos unit I can borrow / buy?

Happy New Year to you all,

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X