Rust treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust treatment

Got a minor bit of rust showing on the sill where it meets the plastic inner wheel arch...

Looks a hot spot for gathering crap & probably retains moisture.

Been advised to clean it out, sand down affected area, treat with a zinc/anti rust type paint then paint over that with standard colour and finally blather wax oil between plastic inner arch and the metal.

Anybody done this? recommend a paint? Allsorts out there eg hammerite anti rust, rust bullet etc

Last edited by chopper; 29-05-2012, 07:31 PM. Reason: pic added

I had the very same problem as its a poor design really. I did not do the work but the guy who did said he applied something before repainting with the original colour and underseal. The latter was put on slightly thicker to help project it in future.
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

one of the MR lads did it

http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=373
      S50 Roadster....

Comment

Originally posted by swamper View Post
        Great write up, that certainly looks the best thing to do...might have to talk nicely to my local mechanic, wouldn't feel confident doing all that myself.

Cheers Spooks

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          Great write up, that certainly looks the best thing to do...might have to talk nicely to my local mechanic, wouldn't feel confident doing all that myself.

Cheers Spooks

Chopper iv not done it yet but its only bolts off then bolts back on....just make sure theres 2 of you doing the work so nowt gets dropped
          S50 Roadster....

Comment

Good write up indeed!

Don't forget the underseal though to help stop it chipping again - my top tip but what do I know!
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I would recommend POR-15 type products every time. Frosts have an excellent range.

Comment

first scrub the rusted place then use some hard glue an then cover it with silver foil paper. it will look better and stylish.

Comment

Working...
                X