Advice on suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on suspension

I'm sure this has been covered several times, but my scenario is a bit more specific.

My car feels loose and I need to tighten it up. My current set up is bilstein shocks and H&R springs. My budget is approx. GBP2k. I want to start with a decent set of coilovers, nothing too fancy but must be reliable, with ARB. What would you recommend in terms of supporting suspension mods that I should change while I'm at it?

Currently leaning towards H&R coilovers with H&R rear ARB, not sure if I should get the front ARB as well and whether I should consider a strongstrut.

Thanks!
    '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
    '09 997 GT2

The Coupe may feel a bit loose if you also have a 2009 GT2!

But the biggest source of vagueness comes from the rear subframe bushes IMO. Fill the voids with plastic should help a lot.

H&R roll bars are one of the best changes, it literally transforms the car. Makes it much easier to lean on, especially on track. Change front and back for definite.

If you do both these things you might not feel the need to start changing springs/dampers from what you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      The Coupe may feel a bit loose if you also have a 2009 GT2!

But the biggest source of vagueness comes from the rear subframe bushes IMO. Fill the voids with plastic should help a lot.

H&R roll bars are one of the best changes, it literally transforms the car. Makes it much easier to lean on, especially on track. Change front and back for definite.

If you do both these things you might not feel the need to start changing springs/dampers from what you already have.
      Thanks for the input!

Reason I'd like to upgrade to coilovers is twofold, one is I don't like the current stance, and two is one of bilsteins is leaking..

Got any specific guidance on the subframe bushes issue? How do I fill it with plastic? Should I replace the bushes?
      '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
      '09 997 GT2

Comment

Replacing the bushes is a major job, but you can stiffen them up fairly easily. A few of use have source E30/Z3 subframe bush "inserts" which are basically curved pieces of plastic that fit inside the voids of the bush (two per side). It will transforms how the car feels under power and lift off, and just feels tighter over bumps.

They look like they could be cut from drainpipe!

There are two side plates under the subframe held on by two allen bolts per side and the big subframe nut. With these removed, you can see the bushes where the inserts/or similar can be pushed in. Doesn't take too long, on a ramp, and the difference is immediately noticeable.

Comment

link to ebay ad for inserts,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E30-Re...item3a8b4934fa

Comment

Thanks Dave! Should I go ahead and buy these off ebay? Sounds like a cheap mod considering the benefits
            '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
            '09 997 GT2

Comment

They are a great item...just do it !

Comment

Originally posted by MCoupe321 View Post
                Thanks Dave! Should I go ahead and buy these off ebay? Sounds like a cheap mod considering the benefits
                Best £/effect mod IMO. And that's when saying those are pretty dear at £27 IMO considering they are just strips of plastic! Well worth it though! Probably offer £25 for them!

If you are not fussed at all at slight increase in NVH, fit all 4, or you can fit the rear most two on each side which is a good balance.

Comment

Currently leaning towards H&R coilovers with H&R rear ARB, not sure if I should get the front ARB as well and whether I should consider a strongstrut.
                  My car has the H&R coilovers and the H&R ARB kit together with a Wiechers strut brace. It´s a good combination - can´t fault it.

I believe the ARBs are only sold as a kit anyway and in Germany you´ve got to install both to get the TUV approval.

Comment

I picked mine up from the US (via my indie garage):

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...nd-mounts.aspx

scroll down to the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                      Replacing the bushes is a major job, but you can stiffen them up fairly easily. A few of use have source E30/Z3 subframe bush "inserts" which are basically curved pieces of plastic that fit inside the voids of the bush (two per side). It will transforms how the car feels under power and lift off, and just feels tighter over bumps.

They look like they could be cut from drainpipe!

There are two side plates under the subframe held on by two allen bolts per side and the big subframe nut. With these removed, you can see the bushes where the inserts/or similar can be pushed in. Doesn't take too long, on a ramp, and the difference is immediately noticeable.
                      I ordered the parts - is there any chance you have more details on the installation w/ pics?

Looks like I'm going for the H&R coilovers w/ H&R ARBs, the Turner Motorsport Strut/Shock mount kit and the inserts..
                      '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                      '09 997 GT2

Comment

I ordered the parts - is there any chance you have more details on the installation w/ pics?

Looks like I'm going for the H&R coilovers w/ H&R ARBs, the Turner Motorsport Strut/Shock mount kit and the inserts..
                        Fitting guide here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12782

Comment

There is also the void above the subframe bush. The ACS suspension kit came with the alloy ring that fills the gap that is above the subframe/bush and beneath the body.

I have filled this with rubber on mine without removing the subframe (cut a slit so I could fit it around the body pins)

Comment

Hi mcoupez3,
                            Looking to replace my tired suspension in the near future, which H&R coilover kit are you fitting and did you get the best price from Turner Motorsport?
                            cheers

steve

Comment

Ac Schnitzer suspension spacer is still available new,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...hlight=spacers

Comment

Working...
                              X