Coilover Kit recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilover Kit recommendations

Thinking of replacing the shocks for something with a little less roll. Seen a few threads on here for options on suspension but want to find out what options I have for a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Have been looking at the adjustable height Koni SSK suspension kits for around £680 all in with the H&R springs, but do these require cutting into original mounts as I'd prefer a simple swap out solution. Any recommendations?

Lastly, while I'm under there, is there anything else worth doing at the same time? Bushes, anti-roll bar etc?
    S50 M Coupe

sigpic

I doubt a coilover kit would need modfication as it's a different strut design to standard. I know the fron Koni adjustables are just inserts that need to be fitted in to the originaly front damper struts.

Straight-swap front dampers I would recommend Bilstein B8 Sprint though.
    Rear dampers Spax adjustable (both bump and rebound so you can really tighten the whole damper up or leave it softer). (B8 rear dampers, IMO, are too soft.)
    H&R Springs are ok (but expensive!).

H&R Anti Roll Bars - amazing transformation.
    Fill the voids in the subframe bushes, really tightens the handling.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      I doubt a coilover kit would need modfication as it's a different strut design to standard. I know the fron Koni adjustables are just inserts that need to be fitted in to the originaly front damper struts.

Straight-swap front dampers I would recommend Bilstein B8 Sprint though.
      Rear dampers Spax adjustable (both bump and rebound so you can really tighten the whole damper up or leave it softer). (B8 rear dampers, IMO, are too soft.)
      H&R Springs are ok (but expensive!).

H&R Anti Roll Bars - amazing transformation.
      Fill the voids in the subframe bushes, really tightens the handling.
      Thanks c_w. Great advice and I'll look into it all.
      S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

David,

If you've got the patience to do your suspension mods progressively, I would fit front and rear H&R ARBs and the subframe inserts as the first stage. You might find that the transformation you get from stabilising the rear subframe with the inserts and reduction in lateral bodyroll with the ARBs improves the handling sufficiently to your taste. If not you can change the other suspension parts later.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
          David,

If you've got the patience to do your suspension mods progressively, I would fit front and rear H&R ARBs and the subframe inserts as the first stage. You might find that the transformation you get from stabilising the rear subframe with the inserts and reduction in lateral bodyroll with the ARBs improves the handling sufficiently to your taste. If not you can change the other suspension parts later.
          Thanks John. Is there a preferred supplier for the ARBs and inserts? Quite a few options out there!
          S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

A lot of people, including myself, bought the roll bars from Euro Car Parts when they were on offer so I would check out there first.
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by inkey$ View Post
              Thanks John. Is there a preferred supplier for the ARBs and inserts? Quite a few options out there!
              I've obtained my H&R ARBs for both my MC and Z4MC from Evolve :http://www.evolveautomotive.com Imran at Evolve used to own a MC and came to a few of our driving meets - he's a good bloke.

Personally, I haven't fitted the subframe bush inserts, because I'd never heard of them at the time that I fitted polyurethane subframe bushes, but you should be able to stuff anything stiff into the 2 voids in the subframe bushes to prevent lateral movement of the subframe. Bits of plastic guttering would be ideal: c_w or DaveP are likely to know of a source for the inserts off ebay.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                I've obtained my H&R ARBs for both my MC and Z4MC from Evolve :http://www.evolveautomotive.com Imran at Evolve used to own a MC and came to a few of our driving meets - he's a good bloke.

Personally, I haven't fitted the subframe bush inserts, because I'd never heard of them at the time that I fitted polyurethane subframe bushes, but you should be able to stuff anything stiff into the 2 voids in the subframe bushes to prevent lateral movement of the subframe. Bits of plastic guttering would be ideal: c_w or DaveP are likely to know of a source for the inserts off ebay.
                I just emailed Imran to enquire

c_w/DaveP - if you have an updated link to any supplier of those subframe bushes that would be amazing. The previous eBay link is ended and sold out. Business opportunity for someone out there!
                S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I think DaveP knew of a place selling them currently (was in another thread recently I'm sure).

Comment

DanThe on e30zone.net is getting some made. I'd give it a go if anyone knows the dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by itsdashy View Post
                      DanThe on e30zone.net is getting some made. I'd give it a go if anyone knows the dimensions.
                      If you manage to sort dimensions I'd definitely be interested in a set.
                      S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I used a BC racing z3m kit on my m3 compact and they where good for the money, as they included new front and rear drop mounts and drop links

Jason
                        BMW e21 track car
                        Z3M (S62)
                        2.8 Z3 Coupe
                        Ariel Atom
                        GT86 race car
                        Ferrari 348 Challenge
                        Merc G500

Comment

I did my suspension over the weekend. It was a kit like you're looking at; Koni shocks (front - 8641-1342 Sport/ Rear - 8040-1217 Sport) and H&R springs (29520). I also installed urethane subframe bushes from Ireland Engineering and upper rear shock mounts from Rogue Engineering. The Rogue mounts make it possible to replace the shocks from under the car - a very good upgrade. Unfortunately you still have to strip out the interior one last time to put them in. The subframe bushes are difficult to remove. The middle shaft in one of mine pushed out and I had to cut that one out. Installing the strut inserts wasn't all that difficult - adds about 30 min. per side to the job. It made for a long weekend under the car but it sure drives better.

Comment

did somebody have any experience with the KW V2 coilover?

i dont need a full adjustable coilover like the V3, also if you'r not a pro, it's hard to do the right settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Robmaster View Post
                              did somebody have any experience with the KW V2 coilover?

i dont need a full adjustable coilover like the V3, also if you'r not a pro, it's hard to do the right settings.
                              Yes. I originally thought the same way as you and bought KWV2 in 2005. It was absolutely DREADFUL!

In the end KW GMb took the kit back and I bought KWV3. KWV3 is superb, and in retrospect I'm glad of my disastrous experience with V2 because I learned a huge amount about suspension and setting up from it.

On the face of it, setting up suspension is a "black art" but in reality you just need to be logical and systematic with changes and you can then hone-in on the best settings. If you want the best road settings for the MC then IMO you want medium stiff at the front and soft at the rear, and for track you want near stiffest all round with the rear rebound a little softer than full stiff.
                              /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                              X