Vanos leak question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanos leak question.

Just a quick question to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. A couple of days ago after a couple of hours drive when I was in stop start traffic I could smell a sort of burning smell, initially I thought it was the brakes as I had just had new discs and pads fitted, however today I could smell it again when pulling away from lights etc. had a look under the bonnet and there was quite a bit of oil around the front of the engine and more worryingly was on the underside of the bonnet. Check the level and it was on the lower mark. After as good a clean as I could manage in the car park ran the engine a few times and found oil was leaking from the vanos filter screw, this would make sense as the vanos bolts and seals had just been changed.

Question is, is there enough pressure behind there to spray onto the underside of the bonnet? I had the car at about 3 to 3500 revs and didn't notice anything more than drips, or could it be the fan was whipping it up around that area. Or worst case it's something else that's leaking......

Will be taking the car back to the same garage next week but that's in Glasgow and I'm in Southampton now, have bought some oil and will be keeping a close eye on the parts I could get clean to see if the stay that way.

might just need nipping up! the fan could be responsible for dispersal.

Comment

I would get it looked at asap

Comment

I certainly wouldn't drive it that sort of distance with a leak from the vanos. As already mentioned check the tightness, if that is fine unscrew it and check that the O ring isn't nipped or twisted. It'll only take you a couple of minutes.

Comment

Well I nipped it up yesterday and couldn't see anything leaking afterwards, it wasn't what I would call tight, went for a 15-20 mile drive this morning and checked when I got back and couldn't see any oil on the parts I'd wiped clean, think the radiator hose is the biggest tell tale as it had oil runs down it which haven't come back. Will be keeping a close eye on it before driving home.

Comment

Originally posted by alanw89 View Post
            Well I nipped it up yesterday and couldn't see anything leaking afterwards, it wasn't what I would call tight, went for a 15-20 mile drive this morning and checked when I got back and couldn't see any oil on the parts I'd wiped clean, think the radiator hose is the biggest tell tale as it had oil runs down it which haven't come back. Will be keeping a close eye on it before driving home.
            I had a similar problem earlier this year but my leak was from the oil feed pipe, this is my thread, with video later on in it. http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=15790&page=2

i tried to nip the pipe up a bit but it didn't sort it so ended up with new pipe.

Comment

Alan..Glad it sounds like you got this sorted...just check your oil level.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                Alan..Glad it sounds like you got this sorted...just check your oil level.
                yeah, I was amazed actually, It took the best part of 1.5 litres after!

Comment

I believe the vanos oil pressure is circa 1800 psi - wouldn't take long to risk major engine damage if it gave up suddenly.
                  S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Having spoke to various people who have had problems with their Vanos,including Steve AKA Mr Vanos..while the covers do hold back a lot of pressure,the general opinion regarding the bolts etc...is that the majority of people over-tighten them! which causes a stretch,,so be careful!

Comment

Working...
                    X