My First Z3M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp now sorted

My temp gauge is now sat about right hopefully, but this has brought more problems, as owing to the oil and engine is up to the correct temperature, the vanos is now noticeably noisier than it was when I bought it...

I wanted to do the seals at some point, but it looks like that point is going to be sooner than I hoped.

Gotta love old cars...
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
      Hello from a fellow imola owner

Your journal is great and you're addressing some of the common problems that I had to when I got mine. Keep it up!

Thanks. Appreciate it. Used to log what I did back in the day with the old E36 M3's but then lost my way, so back 20 cars later lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        Good work , does the car still have the forum sticker in the back window?
        Not at the moment, as I hate stickers !!! Sorry, do you do a smaller one that I can refit? or are they all one size, as it was a bit in your face for my liking where the last owner had stuck it. as deffo like to support the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
          Not at the moment, as I hate stickers !!! Sorry, do you do a smaller one that I can refit? or are they all one size, as it was a bit in your face for my liking where the last owner had stuck it. as deffo like to support the forum.

Sorry no smaller stickers

Comment

lol. one for again, maybe something like:

Comment

So sad to report that now I have settled into the car ownership, and the engine is running at the correct temperature the Vanos (which I was advised was overhauled in the not too distant past) is not like bag of marbles and has been leaking into the undertray for a few months too (which I was made aware of my mechanic, but that was next job)

So booked in with Mr. Vanos, it's always good to know where you are with the Vanos, so at least once thats sorted, it's sorted! and its piece of mind.

To be fair, this is the 10th S50, and other than some solenoid seals on one of them, I've never had a real Vanos issue, so bound to get caught once.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
                So sad to report that now I have settled into the car ownership, and the engine is running at the correct temperature the Vanos (which I was advised was overhauled in the not too distant past) is not like bag of marbles and has been leaking into the undertray for a few months too (which I was made aware of my mechanic, but that was next job)

So booked in with Mr. Vanos, it's always good to know where you are with the Vanos, so at least once thats sorted, it's sorted! and its piece of mind.

To be fair, this is the 10th S50, and other than some solenoid seals on one of them, I've never had a real Vanos issue, so bound to get caught once.

Still a weak point on these engines but when fixed should be good for years

Comment

Indeed, but staying that m3 3rd E36 was a single Vanos 3.0 that had had a BMW Warranty Vanos change, and it never ran right afterward. So interested to see how it get on with this one ;)

Comment

Rocking Chair...

So the task I wasn't looking forward too, as there is not a lot of room in a Z3 Cabin, but I needed to try at least to replace the seat runner bushes to remove some of the slack in them, which I'm hoping is causing the rocking chair feeling the Drivers Seat has.

The first job was to remove the seat, and on doing so, another job had to be sorted first, tidying the carpets!!

So a quick hover, and scrub with some carpet cleaner.

Then some rubber dressing.

Looked a lot better than it did...

So seat out, runners off.

New nylon bushes purchased from eBay.

Some help from the old vise.

The original ones were not destroyed, but there was some movement in the mount.

Then seat back in after some leather cream treatment.

The seat is much improved. I can still a "click" when I rock the seat but most of the play has gone now, so that will have to do.

Comment

Nice work Jonny
                      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Good work

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Nice work mate. Always a satisfying feeling on those seat bushes (I've had to do a few now!)

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

It took me a while to work out that it wasn't the number of turns needed to set the runners in the right place, as in counted off 7 turns a spin back on 7 (from following an online video guide), but more about the right amount of turns to align the runner mount with the T50 bolt and hole.
                              Last edited by Jonnysideways; 13-04-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Decided to look at the crud around my jacking pints, worse than I thought, but with a clean and some rust treat setting on then, a quick dab of underseal to protect them should make them a whole lot better than they were.

Big job broke out...

Nasty.

Looks a bit bobbins, but the worst has been wire-wheeled off, and rust treat settled for 24 hours.

Underseal ordered, as well as needing a new drill as it blew up just as I was finishing the rear jacking mount. Typical.

Once thats sorted, Ill whizz off any other nasty "could be rust" bits, and cover with some waxoil.
                                Last edited by Jonnysideways; 02-03-2020, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X