No announcement yet.

Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last job of the day was removing the front subframe. Looks so odd seeing the engine floating.

Front subframe on the bench. 4 main bolts and two bolts holding the rack.

View from underneath.

Engine mounts looking tired so might be worth an upgrade. These really transform the way it feels, I fitted some vibratek mounts to mine.

So tonight will be a mass order of parts, mostly from BMW and some Bilstein goodies. The powder coaters will love me next week as my boot is full.
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

• It’s going to be great when all of that stuff is done, very thorough :)

Comment

• Latest update form the zedshed....

Finally got everything back from the powder coaters. The guys there are crazy busy, plus they had quite a few bits from me, two cars worth. I’ve also found ordering parts for Z3M’s now becoming a problem, I might of just bought the last front shocks in the country, I’ve had 3 purchases cancelled due to stock, even Bilstein rang me to say they have no stock world wide for the Z3M and don’t expect to till June.

The wagon filled to the brim.

first up was a stock take and check everything.

everything looks great.

First job was getting the engine sat back on the subframe. Also fitting the new engine mounts.

these are far easier to install fitted to the subframe. Also new bolts for the subframe. One engine mount has a heat shield due to the close proximity of the exhaust manifolds.

looking pretty on fresh mounts, now a lot stiffer.

next up was the wishbones. I reused the lollipop brackets and fitted new bushes.

drivers side is always a pain to do up, made so much easier with the roll bar out the way. Once these were on I fitted the steering assembly. The M has a unique looking tab so make sure she’s locked.

locking done, stops rotation.

lots of shinny bits.

now with the roll bar in place. Not much more I can do now till I have shocks.

This is the first time I’ve had the knuckles coated, they’ve come up really well.

Next job was fitting the new hardware to the diff. The oil in this stuff seriously stinks my garage out for hours.

cover removed. (Oil to be replaced later)

There was a right mix of old gasket and old sealant. Took a bit of time to remove it all and re flatten the surface again ready for a new gasket.

All these items need painting now, didn’t notice I was out of brushes so that will have to wait a few days. I also fitted the new tank straps, just getting all the little jobs out the way. I reckon she will be very nearly finished this weekend.

Also some photos, copied over from the drive shaft thread. I used the BMW drive shaft repair kit, god knows how this shaft got in such a bad way. Was a very simple job just very messy.

Twisted boot.

All removed and new boots fitted with new clips.

Diff end.

Whole shaft. As much as it would be nice to redo both shafts these kits are very pricey so I would recommend doing them only if you really need too.

This weekend will be rear subframe install.
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Another update from zedshed....

Been a very productive day today. I managed to source what I think is the last Z3M front shocks in the country.

First up we have the diff a paint and service.

While this was going on security started painting the brake parts.

We soon moved onto building the arms.

everything looking so clean and tidy.

we then laid out the rear end assembly. Gave everything a check over before assembling and torquing.

Now together.

fresh bushes

we moved the roll drop link to the outer setting, this is plenty stiff enough.

The front shocks assembled with no problems. Everything looking fresh again.

Both shocks built.

In place ready for the front end to be finished.

It was then time to fit the rear subframe.

view from the outer side.

Real productive day in all. Everything is looking very new and factory fresh. Even the beam bushes are now pert.

This leaves me with a few jobs for early next week. The rocker cover needs powder coating. She’ll be ready for next weekend all things being well.
          ----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Bloody fantastic job
            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• Latest update - nearing completion now....

Done a few little jobs over the last couple of days, I’m not rushing due to the rocker cover being down the coaters. I finished of fitting the hardware yesterday.

The rocker cover I pulled Monday and dropped off.

Not looking too bad just needs a freshen up.

again very little oil staining. Good sign of regular oil changes.

Last bits of hardware going on was the front hub assemblies.

New dust shield on.

Next was the bearing and drop link. Worth noting now the correct length of the drop link.

then finally brake assembly and braided lines.

Then rinse repeat on the other side. The discs will get a coat of silver paint along with rattle clips.

Next I fitted the last of the brakes at the rear.

near side.

This now leaves some under trays and arch liners. Also the new noise makers Dave gave us to fit, she’s so close to being finished
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Originally posted by 137699 View Post

The wings have been cleaned up & blasted where any hint of rust was and treated with rust eater to give it some protection.

How is the the small insert between the top of the wing and the body section adjacent to hatch held in place? Does it need to be removed to be able the wing to be taken off? I'm planning to get rear wings removed to get refreshed.
                Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

• Originally posted by petecossie View Post

How is the the small insert between the top of the wing and the body section adjacent to hatch held in place? Does it need to be removed to be able the wing to be taken off? I'm planning to get rear wings removed to get refreshed.
                  Sorry Pete can't answer that - the bodyshop did the full strip down - I wasn't present when it came apart or went back together...
                  ----------------
                  David
                  1999 M Coupe (S50)
                  >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• So another update from the ZedShed - fingers crossed I will get it back this weekend coming....

The last couple of days I got to test drive the coupe, she drives superb now. I also got the tracking done yesterday so she steers in the right direction. The only issue I noticed on the test drive was the odd leaning up front, this was due to the drop links being too short so the original 9” style drop links were fitted.

Before I took her out I fitted the last few bits. The pretty Remus pipes went on.

I thought these would be loud but they’re only a little louder then stock. Next I fitted the rear diffuser. This really makes the back look smart.

then it was the shinny rocker cover. Looks so pretty again.

something I noticed before fitting, was the clumsy use of silicon sealant engine side of the rocker gasket. It was everywhere, this can cause serious issues if your not careful.

anyway cover on, really looking tidy.

After a few miles test driving. Straight away I noticed a similar problem to millers M, lumpy idle and flickering oil light once I refitted the rocker. This must be only one thing, the rocker cover gasket allowing air into the engine, so I’ve ordered a new gasket and bolt seals. This might explain all the gasket sealant I’ve found. Bits on their way from Germany for Thursday

Dam she’s pretty.

----------------
                    David
                    1999 M Coupe (S50)
                    >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• It's really coming on well. I had a set of Front Bilstein B6s on order since October 2020, they kept getting pushed back so much so I cancelled them last month and got OEM in 2 days. Such is life. But must say the new OEMs are pretty damn good. And suit the H&R 30MM Dropped spings very well IMHO.
                      2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

• Alas there has been a hiccup - it seems the rocker cover isn't sealing when refitted - new gasket isn't solving it either and Lee found evidence of silicon sealant having been used previously....
                        Because of this it's causing rough idle & oil light flickering. Lee's had a few goes at cleaning & mating faces but it just won't run right so he's exhausted his options here & it's being moved to Munich Legends for them to go through it all.

I wonder if the powder coat of rocker cover has distorted it slightly...
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                          Alas there has been a hiccup - it seems the rocker cover isn't sealing when refitted - new gasket isn't solving it either and Lee found evidence of silicon sealant having been used previously....
                          Because of this it's causing rough idle & oil light flickering. Lee's had a few goes at cleaning & mating faces but it just won't run right so he's exhausted his options here & it's being moved to Munich Legends for them to go through it all.

I wonder if the powder coat of rocker cover has distorted it slightly...
                          Did you manage to get this sorted?
                          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• Almost...

Since the last update it's been at Munich Legends who sorted the flickering oil light - an oil flush & change & replacement of a clogged oil filter sorted that, but the car still wouldn't idle correctly.
                            Further diagnosis lead to failed VANOS unit - specifically the solenoids which is usually caused by low oil pressure.
                            My VANOS has been shipped to Dr Vanos in the US and returned fully rebuilt but with caution that there was evidence of oil contamination.

So the car is together and running perfectly, but, Munich Legends are concerned that the VANOS probably failed due to low oil pressure, and there's a caution of contamination, therefore they have sent a sample of oil away for analysis to see if there's evidence of further swarf in the oil. They're also going to remove and inspect the oil pump for signs of clogging. If so then it will mean the bearing shells have likely worn and need replacement - otherwise we risk the car going out & suffering a significant failure in the next few miles.

Hopefully the results of the oil sample will be back early next week, which will dictate whether the shells need replacing or whether the car is good to go as-is.

It's been a long (& expensive) journey but hopefully in the next week or so (notwithstanding the need to fix a leaky air-con system which they gassed a month back and hopefully has had chance to leak & leave UV dye evidence now) the car will be done & back with me & running A1 with a clean bill of health and being in superb health for years to come!

Hope so anyway, supposed to be taking it to Scottish Highlands in September!
                            ----------------
                            David
                            1999 M Coupe (S50)
                            >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• I’ve just read through the last parts of this, you’ve been doing a great job!!

What did the oil analysis show?
                              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

• Alas another setback. Oil analysis showed in swarf in the oil (that was only flushed & changed 50 miles ago). So out came the shells and found they had worn so badly that they had scored the crank - also badly enough that regrinding the crank & fitting oversized shells is not an option - so needs new crank & shells but then there's concern as to where else swarf has gone so really needs a total engine rebuild with "open cheque book" type costs likely to be associated.

So... the other option is to source a decent used engine - do a refresh on it & fit that. Challenge being, how do you know what constitutes a "decent" used engine...

Had hoped I'd have it back now - instead looks like it's unlikely to see much road time in 2021 at this rate....
                                ----------------
                                David
                                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Working...
                                X