Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tyre / Fender Rubbing

Hi folks,

This is a new one for me. The rear passenger tyre has started to rub against the fender when turning right with a lot of lock (eg. small roundabouts).

The car runs with a low ride height on ACS coilovers and with 12mm hub spacers - however it has had this set up for 10 years and this is a first for rubbing. And it is only the nearside seemingly.

Any thoughts? Are the shocks needing a bit of attention? Could the ride height have dropped for some reason that I'm unaware of!?

Also, not sure if it is a coincidence - but I feel it must be - the same wheel's CV boot lost all its oil on a long drive recently. Splashed up on the exhaust, made a heck of a mess and some mildly alarming smoke.

I had the garage take a look and they've replaced the boot oil and new clips. They could not find a fault with the boot itself.

I did have a full suspension compression during the drive, but that has happened plenty of times with nothing doing.

Something tells me though this time is different.......

Any ideas welcome.
    Bruce

Might be obvious but presumably you've inspected the spring & spring pads to ensure they're not broken?
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Anything stuck in the arch that it's catching? You can run very low and wide tyres on these cars and not catch due to the camber/toe curve. Also check the rear bushes, but the car would drive really unstable if they were so loose it's altered the wheel position.

Comment

mine did this when the top mount failed.i only noticed when i hit bumps at speed and one side would bottom out,it also sat lower on that side.

Comment

Thanks folks,

I took a measure off the sidewall of the tyre to the fender arch on both sides and could not see any difference - certainly not more / less than a mm.

I will have to get it up on a hoist and see if something is rubbing - there could easily be a piece of trim that has come out of its place and started to rub. it sounds like the hard plastic is rubbing and it is only on tight angled turns right. Driving straight etc no noise.

It could be the rear bushes - they have recently started to squeak and groan again (poly bushes) so maybe something has gone awry there also but its not bottoming out as you drive and is tracking true.

Cheers,
          Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X