New Journal: Rhubarb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for expanding Jon
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
      Pressure bends on pipework - No
      Generic Half shell pressings on muffler outlet - Fine, no problem
      Welding quality on muffler outlet pressing - The weld to the muffler outlet looks a bit poor, as indeed does a fair bit of the MIG welding.
      Cat Cone design - Its ok
      Hanger wire design - Looks a bit poorly thought out.
      X pipe design. - Its ok.

By the way, this is the normal standard for a custom exhaust. Nothing horrendous, just not as well thought out as an OEM part. But this is normal, an OEM part has hundreds of thousands spent on development and even more on tooling with around 18months from conception to start of production with a team of perhaps 10. A man in his shed has a day, maybe two with a couple of grand at his disposal if he is lucky!

I was just commenting on what make really, the exhaust will be fine and potentially more free flowing than the standard one. Is it as "good", well that's an opinion thing...
      As Jon has explained its a custom exhaust

Thanks for that explanation. Out of interest, is there a better way of bending the pipes? What would a better weld look like?
      I'm going to fit it and see how it goes, if it's not for me I'll revert to the gutted pipes

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Also where can I get an exhaust gasket quickly? I've looked all over

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
          For which section?

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Manifold to cat. I've been trying to find something for ages.

I also need something to clamp the mid section to the backboxes.

Comment

As Jon has explained its a custom exhaust

Thanks for that explanation. Out of interest, is there a better way of bending the pipes? What would a better weld look like?
              I'm going to fit it and see how it goes, if it's not for me I'll revert to the gutted pipes
              If you look at this library image;

A is a pressure bend like you have. B is a mandrel bend, although it is also tighter radius. As you can see the mandrel bend, despite being tighter radius, there is no loss of tube cross sectional area. This is because there is a mandrel inserted into the tube whilst it is being "pulled" around the former(bend die);

I will try and get a photo later of a good weld and post it up
              Last edited by Jon_Bmw; 17-03-2017, 07:55 AM. Reason: Picture formatting error, TWICE!

Comment

Thanks. I assume therefore there will be a restriction in airflow through that bend, as the cross sectional area through the bend is smaller

Comment

Compared to a mandrel bend of the same size, yes.

But if they oversized the pipe from the factory specification your cross sectional area may actually end being the same or bigger than OEM.

Generally the biggest restriction in the exhaust will be the catalytic converters. Those fitted are aftermarket and will almost certainly be 100CPSI and a lot less restrictive than the 4-600 (i'm afraid I don't know the exact OEM spec) CPSI version the OEM exhausts runs.

One word of warning if the car ever feels sluggish or reluctant to Rev, check the cats haven't failed. I have seen numerous failures of aftermarket Cat substrates where they end up twisting internally and blocking the gas flow.

Comment

Wont the new system use the oem gaskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                      Wont the new system use the oem gaskets?
                      They will, its just getting them before the weekend!

Comment

It's 300bhp not 500, it will be fine.

Comment

How do you know?

I have just re bled the brakes this evening with BMBabe and fitted 15mm spacers to the front and 10mm.

Out for a quick drive and came back with the biggest grin. The car stops and turns so much better than before the work. I love it!!

Comment

How do I know it's 300bhp or how do I know it'll be ok?

I just think on an N/A car with modest torque that piping should be fine. If it was a turbo car, the slight bend reductions might be a cause for slight concern in terms of absolute best flow but on n/a it too free-flowing can harm things, which is why I think de-cats pipes are not often favoured.

Comment

How do you know?

I have just re bled the brakes this evening with BMBabe and fitted 15mm spacers to the front and 10mm.

Out for a quick drive and came back with the biggest grin. The car stops and turns so much better than before the work. I love it!!

Nice one, well done for doing such a major overhaul yourself

Comment

On a related side note, I used Zero Exhausts (Kent) for some work on my old Z4MC a few years back.

https://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk//

The guy is an artist and I can't recommend him highly enough if you're after custom exhausts at a sensible price.
                                S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X