High Revs when starting!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie-boy View Post
    I had this problem - tended to happen after a bout of spirited driving. It turned out to be a loose floor mat pressing on the pedal, due to all the frantic footwork!
    Mine did it again this morning and a blip of the throttle didn't stop it. It's defiantly isn't the floor mat. I have got RAC warranty on the car, I wonder if it's worth trying that option?

Oli
    - Dakar Yellow S50

Comment

This problem seems worryingly common going by the previous posts. Which is strange because I had a search on a few E36 M3 forums and couldn't find anything which sounded the same, given the fact that there are far more S50 engines in those.

So is this just an MC problem and other that the ICV (which H4pry has eliminated?), what else could cause this?

Just to note that it doesn't happen on mine at the moment thankfully.

Current - BMW M6
      Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
      Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        This problem seems worryingly common going by the previous posts. Which is strange because I had a search on a few E36 M3 forums and couldn't find anything which sounded the same, given the fact that there are far more S50 engines in those.

So is this just an MC problem and other that the ICV (which H4pry has eliminated?), what else could cause this?

Just to note that it doesn't happen on mine at the moment thankfully.
        I might give a local BMW stealer a call and see what they said? Or am I just wasting my time?

Oli
        - Dakar Yellow S50

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
          After owning my MC for 2 weeks I had the high rev problem this morning. When I start her normally from cold it goes to 1500rpm and then settles around 1000rpm after 20 seconds or so. This Morning it jumped to 3000rpm and contained to rise and I turned the engine off in panic and when I started it again it was fine.

If everyone could let me know how you get on that would fantastic :)

Oli
          Tomrrow I will be fitting the "known good" ICV. I will report back in due course.
          Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
          In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
            Tomrrow I will be fitting the "known good" ICV. I will report back in due course.
            Excellent, I'll hang fire until I hear how it goes.

Oli
            - Dakar Yellow S50

Comment

It didn't happen this morning, I think it was down to the lower temperature

Oli
              - Dakar Yellow S50

Comment

OK, I have changed the Idle Control Valve and it has deffinately made a difference. Too early to tell 100% whether or not the entire problem is fixed however the early signs are good. I had some help from a very helpful member on the bmw car forum.

Something quite strange going on though, as my ICV was changed last summer therefore I would be surprised if it had failed that quickly...Cooper Tunbridge Wells had also made a right botch of applying copper grease around the Inlet O rings, therefore I made sure these where perfectly clean and in good condition before refitting.

From what I have learned doing this job I would suggest the following is done in the below order in a fault finding way:

1) Replace the rubber O rings in the trumpets and make sure the contact surfaces are 100% clean. This is the cheapest of the steps and the easiest to do. Moreover an air leak past the MAF would be my bet why this is occuring to many of the S50 owners in this thread.

2) I suggest removing the ICV and cleaning it with carb cleaner and re-fitting. Quite a fiddly job as the jubilee clips that hold it in place are not easily accessible.

3) Replaced the ICV. This is a last resort as the part costs about £150.

4) Replace the coolant temperature sensor.

Here is a pic of the "offending" article:

Last edited by h4pry; 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

My car is also doing this, did this stop your problem??????
                  What av ass

Comment

Just to report back a few months after doing this job to my car - The car is still running well. However I would make one recommendation and that is to ensure that you use the high octane premium fuel from Shell or the equivalent....

Since ensuring that I use the expensive juice I have not had a hint of the aforementioned fault.

Cheers!

Comment

I,ve been using The High Octane Shell fuel from Shell consistantly for about a year and a half now but i have the same problem..... it revs to about 3500 to 4000 revs and then settles down again after a prod on the accelarator.... It is very intermittant though.... have had a Inspection 2 service done about a week ago and have not had the problem since so fingers crossed eh....

Comment

Working...
                      X