Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > Frequently Asked Questions
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Germanlkmanx's Avatar
Germanlkmanx Germanlkmanx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 13
Default

What's the diameter of the stock wheel? I thought I researched this and seem to remember that the M-Tech 2 wheel was only 5mm smaller? Very nice though, I have the same wheel in leather in my E36 and love it.

Last edited by Germanlkmanx; 07-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM
wadh0070's Avatar
wadh0070 wadh0070 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tonbridge
Posts: 405
Default

That looks very nice. Can you confirm dimensions. I assume there's no airbag in the middle of that?

Jez
__________________
1998 Cosmos Black - Not quite standard ...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
sean.bmwm3 sean.bmwm3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 165
Default

Thanks for the feed back. It is only 5mm smaller than standard but the rim is alot thicker which gives it a better feel. I tried a 330mm omp wheel for a while but didn't like the way it cut straight through the dials. Also I think the m-tech 2 wheel goes with the retro look of the interior but it has no airbag which is a bit of a bummer! All i need now are some matching alcantara gear/handbrake boots.
I got the wheel from a german seller on ebay, below is a link for a z3m wheel he has for sale thats been trimmed in alcantara complete with airbag. If you email him he's very helpful and will do any style you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
pdwarren's Avatar
pdwarren pdwarren is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 679
Default

Really like the look of some of those wheels. Even just the stock wheel retrimmed with a mix of perforated and normal leather looks good.

Your wheel looks great

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Germanlkmanx's Avatar
Germanlkmanx Germanlkmanx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.bmwm3 View Post
Thanks for the feed back. It is only 5mm smaller than standard but the rim is alot thicker which gives it a better feel. I tried a 330mm omp wheel for a while but didn't like the way it cut straight through the dials. Also I think the m-tech 2 wheel goes with the retro look of the interior but it has no airbag which is a bit of a bummer! All i need now are some matching alcantara gear/handbrake boots.
I got the wheel from a german seller on ebay, below is a link for a z3m wheel he has for sale thats been trimmed in alcantara complete with airbag. If you email him he's very helpful and will do any style you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I'm yet to buy an MC (hopefully sometime before 2010 hits us though!!) and here a lot about how big the wheel is.

As you confirm, the M-Tech 2 wheel is only 5mm smaller but I find it a perfect size in my current car - I guess as you point out that it is probably the thickness of the rim that makes it feel better than the standard wheel in the MC?

Looks very cool though dude...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM
gooner14 gooner14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 299
Default

Couple of those ebay wheels look awesome, but they are still too big.

Anyone know what the score is with insurance and removing the airbag?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM
c_w's Avatar
c_w c_w is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North West
Posts: 8,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanlkmanx View Post
I'm yet to buy an MC (hopefully sometime before 2010 hits us though!!) and here a lot about how big the wheel is.

As you confirm, the M-Tech 2 wheel is only 5mm smaller but I find it a perfect size in my current car - I guess as you point out that it is probably the thickness of the rim that makes it feel better than the standard wheel in the MC?

Looks very cool though dude...
Partly feels bigger becasue the cabin is quite small and often your knees are almost touching the wheel too.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
David1975's Avatar
David1975 David1975 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Teesside
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner14 View Post
Anyone know what the score is with insurance and removing the airbag?

Wrote off my last one with the alcantara mtech wheel with no airbag. IUnsurance inspector made no mention. Maybe because it as badged BMW??
__________________
EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Muppetman Muppetman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 330
Default

Has anyone had the Original wheel retrimmed in alcantara?

I'm not happy with the feel of the 'leather' and the skinnyness of the original but can't find an aftermarket one I like the look of.

Anyone had it done?

Thinking of also doing the centre of the dash top.
__________________
Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
kevinx320 kevinx320 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 194
Default

Had a quote from a person in london to retrim wheel in alcantara with 3 colour stitching was around 350 pounds a tad expensive i think, must be someone out there who can do it but was told its very difficult t do and it has to look very good when finished
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
steering wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.