Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > Frequently Asked Questions
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM

What's the diameter of the stock wheel? I thought I researched this and seem to remember that the M-Tech 2 wheel was only 5mm smaller? Very nice though, I have the same wheel in leather in my E36 and love it.

Last edited by Germanlkmanx; 07-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM

That looks very nice. Can you confirm dimensions. I assume there's no airbag in the middle of that?

Jez
Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the feed back. It is only 5mm smaller than standard but the rim is alot thicker which gives it a better feel. I tried a 330mm omp wheel for a while but didn't like the way it cut straight through the dials. Also I think the m-tech 2 wheel goes with the retro look of the interior but it has no airbag which is a bit of a bummer! All i need now are some matching alcantara gear/handbrake boots.
I got the wheel from a german seller on ebay, below is a link for a z3m wheel he has for sale thats been trimmed in alcantara complete with airbag. If you email him he's very helpful and will do any style you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Really like the look of some of those wheels. Even just the stock wheel retrimmed with a mix of perforated and normal leather looks good.

Your wheel looks great

Paul
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.bmwm3 View Post
Thanks for the feed back. It is only 5mm smaller than standard but the rim is alot thicker which gives it a better feel. I tried a 330mm omp wheel for a while but didn't like the way it cut straight through the dials. Also I think the m-tech 2 wheel goes with the retro look of the interior but it has no airbag which is a bit of a bummer! All i need now are some matching alcantara gear/handbrake boots.
I got the wheel from a german seller on ebay, below is a link for a z3m wheel he has for sale thats been trimmed in alcantara complete with airbag. If you email him he's very helpful and will do any style you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I'm yet to buy an MC (hopefully sometime before 2010 hits us though!!) and here a lot about how big the wheel is.

As you confirm, the M-Tech 2 wheel is only 5mm smaller but I find it a perfect size in my current car - I guess as you point out that it is probably the thickness of the rim that makes it feel better than the standard wheel in the MC?

Looks very cool though dude...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM

Couple of those ebay wheels look awesome, but they are still too big.

Anyone know what the score is with insurance and removing the airbag?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanlkmanx View Post
I'm yet to buy an MC (hopefully sometime before 2010 hits us though!!) and here a lot about how big the wheel is.

As you confirm, the M-Tech 2 wheel is only 5mm smaller but I find it a perfect size in my current car - I guess as you point out that it is probably the thickness of the rim that makes it feel better than the standard wheel in the MC?

Looks very cool though dude...
Partly feels bigger becasue the cabin is quite small and often your knees are almost touching the wheel too.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner14 View Post
Anyone know what the score is with insurance and removing the airbag?

Wrote off my last one with the alcantara mtech wheel with no airbag. IUnsurance inspector made no mention. Maybe because it as badged BMW??
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Has anyone had the Original wheel retrimmed in alcantara?

I'm not happy with the feel of the 'leather' and the skinnyness of the original but can't find an aftermarket one I like the look of.

Anyone had it done?

Thinking of also doing the centre of the dash top.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Had a quote from a person in london to retrim wheel in alcantara with 3 colour stitching was around 350 pounds a tad expensive i think, must be someone out there who can do it but was told its very difficult t do and it has to look very good when finished

Tags
steering wheel