Best way to clean metal engine parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean metal engine parts

Can I get some advice on how to clean and protect the oil filter cover and other metal parts? They seem to be stained. I was thinking of using some steel wool but I don't want to make things worse. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum looks like dried oil so may be worth trying a engine cleaner first?

Comment

Steel wool,AG Machine cleaner,finished with autosol...Luverly !

Comment

Soda blast it.http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-o.../soda_blaster/

I bought a compressor from B&Q for £60 and it came with the pistol attachment. It's not got enough guts for a impact wrench but ratchets, nail guns etc are fine. Surprisingly handy and well worth the space it takes.

Comment

I tried buying some engine cleaner but it didn't do that much. I think the oil has been there for a while. It was like a glaze. I had to use a screw driver to chip bits of it up. Then I used the steel wool. It took a lot of sweat and elbow grease and I'm not even done yet, but I like the way it's looking.

If I unscrew the oil filter cap to clean the back side of it, will oil come flowing out if it?

Thanks for your help!
          Attached Files

Comment

NO If you do it when the engine is stone cold no,sounds like the stain could be varnish.?

Comment

I assumed that it was just dried oil. I hope I'm not removing something that was protecting it!

Comment

Had the same problem with mine.
                Bought a new one about 4 years ago, then had it powder coated - still looks great.
                Estoril blue S50 - 2000: Bilstien B8's, Spax adjustables, H&R springs, H&R anti-roll bars, Rogue top mounts, Tints, M5 alloys, Simota, Supersprint, ACS splitters.

Comment

Strom...you aint gonna do it any harm....it will go dull again after a while..but easier to clean next time!

Comment

Originally posted by MCEwan View Post
                    Had the same problem with mine.
                    Bought a new one about 4 years ago, then had it powder coated - still looks great.
                    Powder coating sounds great
                    S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X