Flexi Brake Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexi Brake Hoses

As with all projects - mission creep! I thought that while I was cleaning up the rear end of the car, I might as well take the calipers off and refurb them. Which led to changing pads. Which led to 'might as well take the flexis off and replace them'....

I've never been thrilled with the brake feel on any of the Coupe's I've driven, so I'm planning to change the pads to Yellowstuff. At the same time, I was wondering if anyone had changed their hoses to braided lines? If so, did you find they made any difference to the feel?

Also, does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer is for the BMW rubber brake hoses?

Thanks
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

I was running yellowstuff with braided lines before I put the BBK on and they made the brakes feel much better than the original setup
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Thanks, good to know, I think I'll go down the same route. Did you go for the standard Goodridge/Hel type lines?

Comment

I have Goodridge fitted to the rears and have had no problems

Comment

My Coupe has stock brakes except black braided lines and RS29 front pads and Yellowstuff pads rear. Pedal feel is excellent, the brakes are very very good. I prefer them to the 380mm setup on an M2.

Comment

Thanks everyone, it definitely seems to be a case of braided lines and upgraded pads. Off to see where the best place to buy braided lines is...

Comment

Though I have not tried on the MC I really do not, as a rule, recommend EBC products.
              I have had the displeasure of running them on various cars previously and never rated them.
              The disks have warped, the pads have worn unevenly and in some cases created a really nasty grinding whenever the brakes are applied.
              The straw that broke the camels back was one a greenstuff pad fell to pieces on the motorway with my family on board and nearly ended very badly. I then found out they have a reputation for doing this.

For the last 10 years or so I have been running Ferodo DS2500 pads on all my cars. They operate like OEM pads when cold but come into a league of their own with heat in them.
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<
              2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
              2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Also rate performance friction pads, similar to the Ferodo in characteristics.

Comment

I used to you yellowstuff on track and they were fine, not the strongest pad or best pedal feel but worked well. Incidentally when I used ds2500 I got really bad brake judder just from fast road use.

Comment

I cant remember a bad word being said about yellowstuff pads when fitted to the standard discs and calipers on the M Coupe , for a "fast road" pad they offer good braking and feel hence why so many of us have used them.

Not sure who makes the original rubber hoses but there may be a makers mark on them?

Comment

Hate changing brake flexis, the anticipation of that lovely moment where the ferule gets stuck and you B@@ger up the hard line as it twists!

There is a bit of an art to pipe flaring too!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've also heard mixed reviews about Yellowstuff pads over the years, but I thought they'd gone through a bad patch a few years ago and were now considered fairly decent again?

For track and hill climb cars I've always used CL pads (used to Carbone Lorraine). Although expensive, I've always found them excellent when used hard.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
                          Hate changing brake flexis, the anticipation of that lovely moment where the ferule gets stuck and you B@@ger up the hard line as it twists!

There is a bit of an art to pipe flaring too!
                          I know what you mean. I thought hard about changing them, but finally came to the conclusion that it was now or never - while the car was in bits. I've been soaking the joints in PB blaster for the last week, and I'm still dreading it. The left rear came apart fairly easily. The nut on the right rear was already rounded from someone's previous attempts, but fortunately that particular pipe is only a couple of feet long and relatively easy to replace if I need to. The fronts are still soaking waiting for me to pick up the courage...

Comment

Working...
                          X