Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rear arch liners

Evening all.

Started removing my arch liners earlier as I want to underseal them.

I removed the 4 (or could be 5) bolts that hold them in one on the sill, one on the corner of the bumper and another 2 or 3 in the arch itself.

Does anyone know how I get the plastic liner out itself, brute force? I pulled it about a bit and could release it either end of the arch but could not get enough movement on it to move it away from the majority of the arch lip.

Looking at a photo from one of Keith's journals (on his M3 front arch) it looks like there is rubber seal of some sort which would make sense (I am away from the car now so cannot check)......does the MC have these and is this what holds the liner in place against the lip?

If so do you need to remove that seal first?

Any tips would be appreciated
    S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Originally posted by maph View Post
    Evening all.

Started removing my arch liners earlier as I want to underseal them.

I removed the 4 (or could be 5) bolts that hold them in one on the sill, one on the corner of the bumper and another 2 or 3 in the arch itself.

Does anyone know how I get the plastic liner out itself, brute force? I pulled it about a bit and could release it either end of the arch but could not get enough movement on it to move it away from the majority of the arch lip.

Looking at a photo from one of Keith's journals (on his M3 front arch) it looks like there is rubber seal of some sort which would make sense (I am away from the car now so cannot check)......does the MC have these and is this what holds the liner in place against the lip?

If so do you need to remove that seal first?

Any tips would be appreciated
    brute force works for me

Paul

Comment

sit facing square on to the arch, then grab the inner most edge of the liner near the shock top mount. Pull down and forwards and the liner will come away from the arch lip. The rest is easy.

Takes a good bit of strength mind

Comment

Thanks Paul/ Matt,

I did exactly that last night and managed to get the lining free, you are not wrong it needs both brute force and strength!

Thanks for your replys.

Comment

Maph - what are you sealing with. I ask because I was planning just to go to rustmaster - but a friend has had a bad experience this winter so I am back to the drawing board. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Matt,

I am using Por15 as recommended by Keith a while back. You can pick it up on ebay. See Keith's thread here as he gives a good description of how to do it properly: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9924

Having taking the drivers side arch out it has a very small amount of surface rust inside the front bottom edge of the arch where dirt/ gravel etc can collect but overall the arch looks like it just came out of the factory.

I was going to underseal the whole arch but it looks so factory fresh I do not feel the need at all. Not bad after 12+ years.....Overall as long as the paint is intact the MC seems fairly rust resistant.

Comment

Working...
            X