Has anyone removed the side airbags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone removed the side airbags?

I have changed my steering wheel and seats, airbag light is on so I shall be looking to take the airbag ecu out over the weekend.

To make the most of the weight loss/gain has anyone removed the side airbags in the door cards and if so know the rough weight of them?

Also is the job reasonably easy for someone non technically minded?

thanks guys.

Russ
    Last edited by KnightsG; 11-11-2014, 02:01 PM.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

If your removing the control unit hoping the light will go out I think you will find the light will still be on.
    I think you can simply remove the bulb on the M clocks.

Comment

The bulb was removed when I put new clocks in and took the steering wheel off.

I have been researching and the light is powered by the airbag ecu.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

put a 5 ohm resistor in line
        thatll do the trick
        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
          put a 5 ohm resistor in line
          thatll do the trick
          There is a resister behind the steering wheel. We cannot get the light to remove at the seat connections. removing the side airbags makes sense as they are not actually now doing anything but weighing me down.

Comment

Go for it
            [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

The airbag bulb can be removed but it will still light up as there's a tamper light set inside the cluster which lights up in its place. It does go off after a while (months) though.

Comment

The side Airbags are easy to remove once door card is off..you will probably need some new door card clips as the easily break off! not sure you will be saving that much weight tho..a bit but doubt if it would be noticeable.

Comment

Might you not have trouble with the insurers in the event of an accident?

Comment

Working...
                  X