Clutch return spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch return spring

Does the MC have one? Has anyone removed it, and if so what are your impressions?

I just saw a discussion on another forum about removal of CDVs, and there was a general consensus that the clutch return spring that most BMWs have removes feel from the clutch, and its removal is beneficial.

I just wondered whether any of you guys had any thoughts?

CDV and clutch return spring are different things. CDV stops agressive clutch changes, you need the spings or else the pedal would not return correctly after pressing the clutch
    BMW e21 track car
    Z3M (S62)
    2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Ariel Atom
    GT86 race car
    Ferrari 348 Challenge
    Merc G500

Comment

Originally posted by e21jason View Post
      CDV and clutch return spring are different things. CDV stops agressive clutch changes, you need the spings or else the pedal would not return correctly after pressing the clutch
      I appreciate the difference - I had my CDV removed a while back.

The advice from the site was that most cars don't have one, but BMW always seem to use one. It's not necessary because:

the pressure plate is always putting tension on the slave cylinder and thus trying to force the clutch pedal back towards you.
      Further, one user's experience:
      I was replacing the clutch pedal's squeaky bushing when I discovered the clutch pedal return spring. I hastily removed it. I always felt that the clutch had little feel to it. The pedal spring deletion made almost as much difference as the CDV deletion! Instead of fighting the stiff clutch spring, now I can feel the pressure plate moving.

Comment

diagram of S50 clutch pedal assembly,

no. 6 return spring

Comment

I would guess that without the pedal spring the weight of the pedal will act upon the slave cylinder slightly possible engaging the thrust bearing a bit all the time? It may also itself act like a delay valve in being less quick to release the clutch as the hydraulic pressure has to push the pedal back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            diagram of S50 clutch pedal assembly,

no. 6 return spring

Sorry to bring up an old post but does anyone know how to stop part 15 popping out?

Comment

While we are on clutches....i want to get rid of that annoying creak that manifests itself occasionally ?

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                While we are on clutches....i want to get rid of that annoying creak that manifests itself occasionally ?
                You need a very accurate spray of WD40 onto the clutch mechanism bushes (parts 4) in diagram.

Comment

Cheers Mr P

Comment

Originally posted by boostina3 View Post
                    Sorry to bring up an old post but does anyone know how to stop part 15 popping out?
                    is it worn?

Comment

Originally posted by boostina3
                      I didn't notice it being worn will have a look
                      not worn really as I can still see where the groves clearly are.

Comment

Hi Gents
                        Looks as though the plastic on part 14 is broken which then caused the spring to break part 11... can i please have the part numbers?

Comment

Hi Gents
                          Looks as though the plastic on part 14 is broken which then caused the spring to break part 11... can i please have the part numbers?
                          Worth putting your chassis number into realoem to make sure these are the correct part numbers for your coupe

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/35/35_0254/

Comment

Thanks Dave,

Ordered via my local dealer 6,25 Euros for the spring. Fingers crossed all fitted this evening

Comment

So last night I tried to install the bloody thing and manged to break the upper bracket mount for the spring....back to the dealer today but does anyone have some advice of how to install and compress the spring?
                              Last edited by boostina3; 08-10-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X