Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2015, 02:51 PM

Sept 2011

I'd bought the car with ACS suspension fitted. Having been advised this was fitted from new, I want to keep the car that way - all ACS - so having been advised that the front right suspension had a small leak, when I spotted that Classic Heroes were selling a full set of ACS suspension that had been removed from an MC they were selling that had only covered 15,000 miles I jumped at the chance to buy that. That suspension had in fact only covered 12,000 miles so should be pretty fresh.

Looks a bit of a mess but looked great once I'd washed off all the underseal that had been applied.

Oct 2011

Since buying the car, I'd never been sure how I felt about the AC Schnitzer badge on the tailgate. Anyway, decided to remove it because it wasn't in that good condition anyway

Dec 2011

Oil service carried out by Autohaus Diagnostics in York. Additional work carried out included replacing rear right wheel speed sensor, replacing oxygen sensor (bank 2), replacing both front to rear brake lines and fitting a new constant pressure valve

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Last edited by Fat Tony; 05-04-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 PM

Jan 2012

A previous owner had swapped the front top mounts from side to side, increasing negative camber, but it was causing the front tyres to wear faster on the inside. Swapped them back over to their correct sides and booked the car in for 4 wheel geo check. While booked in, they also replaced front lower arm bushes.

Feb 2012

Couldn't resist getting a new reg for the MC and bought front and rear pressed aluminium plates

Sept 2013

MC spotted on Google Streetview, heh

March 2014

I'd wanted to fit an ACS roof wing since getting the MC. While the replicas that are available look ace, it's not an original ACS part and I'd like to maintain genuine parts, given that the car was spec'd with quite a lot of ACS parts from new. Unable to source an original ACS roof wing, I decided to opt for the ACS roof spoiler instead when one became available from another forum member. While it is currently fitted unpainted, I intend to get it colour coded soon.

Aug 2014

After having sat in CW's MC at Silverstone I'd had the notion of switching to a smaller steering wheel. I know, you purists will insist that getting the OE wheel recovered is the best option, but I just couldn't get on with the large diameter of OEM. Having looked in to the options, not wanting to lose airbag safety I decided that the Raid wheel was the one to go for, sorting a group buy for the forum at the time.

A few weeks later, CW kindly offered to help me out fitting the wheel. The kit with the Raid wheel made it a pretty straight forward job, though I was nervous about messing with the airbag system and generally fcking things up

Plug-and-play wiring kit:

Dec 2012

Inspection 1 service carried out by Autohaus Diagnostics. Transmission oil replaced with Amsoil Synthetic MT. Mr Vanos uprated bolts, gasket ring and seal kit fitted.

New rear wiper motor fitted after the original started to fail occasionally. I also fitted a one-way valve in to the rear washer line to prevent the leaking from the rear wiper that would occur both when parked facing uphill, and when accelerating hard

Last edited by Fat Tony; 05-04-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Jan 2014

With MOT pending, and them previously having mentioned the small leak from front O/S suspension, I decided to get the low mileage ACS replacement suspension that I'd bought a while ago, replacing the rubber bellows which had had lost some of their pliability over the years.

As I mentioned previously, it turned out that the ACS Suspension fitted from new was the ACS Sport kit featuring coilovers up front. The replacement set I'd bought was the ACS Road version, which follows OE fitting, so there were a few additional parts to buy in order to do the switch.

I took the opportunity to fit new front top mounts and droplinks as well as Rogue top mounts at the back while at it. Also, the O/S front wheel arch liner which had seen better days, with the tyre scrubbing through part of it so I got a new one fitted.

To be perfectly honest, I can't tell the difference between the Sport and Road versions of the ACS suspension, but I suspect that somebody that knows what they're doing could, ha

May 2014

Small oil leak needed addressing which appeared to be originating from the Vanos so the guys at Autohaus Diagnostics replaced the rear O-rings.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 06-04-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 AM

March 2015

Still had a tiny oil leak from the Vanos area and I'd noticed that the engine felt a little hesitant around the 1800-2000rpm mark, so I booked the car back in to Autohaus Diagnostics.

It appears that the Vanos filter was the cause of the leak. Diagnostics indicated one of the exhaust solenoids was probably the cause of the that 'fluffy' feeling around the 2k rpm mark, so that was sorted with a bit of new solder.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 AM

April 2015

When Jonttt listed a brand new set of ACS Type III rims for sale in the correct MC fitment, I couldn't resist the opportunity to buy them. Having been on the car for 14 years, the originals have picked up a couple of small marks and getting them refurbed was on my list for this year.

Having got the new rims homes, they're obviously immaculate and I'm delighted to have them. My OCD has noticed that they're the ACS-supplied finish, rather than the BMW-fitted finish. When BMW fitted the Type IIIs from new, they had a slightly more metallic finish, whereas the ACS-supplied rims have a slightly flatter finish. So I'm now trying to decide whether to fit them as they are, or get them painted to match the original BMW finish.

It's never easy being me

Jonttt was a pleasure to do business with.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Photos showing the difference of the 2 finishes of AC Schnitzer Type III rims. The more metallic of the 2 is (I believe) the original BMW-fitted dealer option, the flatter grey rim being the ACS aftermarket finish, however I'm trying to get confirmation from Rossiters on this - it could be that mine have just been refurbed previously, but I remember reading elsewhere that the BMW-fitted Type IIIs were a shinier finish.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 07-04-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM

Will be interesting to see what Rossitors confirm Tony.

I also have a new set of type III race, 2 of which were sourced from rossitors in AC Schnitzer boxes but two were ex BMW stock in BMW boxes. They are a matching set in terms of finish.

I did not think they did a separate finish for direct bmw supply so would put money on yours having been refurbed previously but happy to be proved wrong ?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Hey Jonttt, Chris at Rossiters also states that BMW didn't have a different finish applied to wheels fitted 'at factory' (so mine must have been refurbed at some point - to a finish that I actually prefer, so now I have a dilemma... authenticity or bling, hahahhaa)

Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Hey Jonttt, Chris at Rossiters also states that BMW didn't have a different finish applied to wheels fitted 'at factory' (so mine must have been refurbed at some point - to a finish that I actually prefer, so now I have a dilemma... authenticity or bling, hahahhaa)
Obviously not the answer you relayed to the wife after buying a new set of wheels.....

Last edited by Spooks; 08-04-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
Obviously not the answer you relayed to the wife after buying a now set of wheels.....
Look, I'll be completely honest Spooks... I'm blessed. She didn't mind the £200 for Type IIIs that I bought from Jonttt, and I don't think she'll mind the £40 to get all 4 of them painted

Tags
journal