• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw this on the roadster forum (MC!)

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26858

anyone off here?

Click here to email me

Spooky... its mine :(

Its mine... and me in the back of the AA truck.

I was thinking of putting the symptoms of what happened on here and see if anyone could give me an idea of how bad it may be.

Essentially i was on the way from devon to london when (with the window down) I thought I could hear a slightly metallic sound on accelerating. I put the clutch in and blipped a couple of times and it did sound like it was 'pinking' a bit or something rattling...

Pulled over, called AA, said I didn't wanna move it. They arrived, agreed, truck came, now its in London and I'm not sure what or how to deal with it.

It sounds like a tic, tic, tic related to engine speed. I was worried wrt vanos but I'm fairly sure mine's been done and the sound was from elsewhere, so AA man listened with a stethescope - & said the timing was ok(!) and that the noise was coming from midway (front to back) of the engine at the top.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated, esp how to bump this to a more helpful place on the tech forum or something!

Thanks in advance - god I was surprised to see that photo on here tonight!

Comment

Big end bearings?
      Imola S50 1999

Comment

Sorry to say but Sounds like it
        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Sorry to say but Sounds like it
          [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Top of engine ticking, afraid this happened to mine a few years ago, Required new cam, followers etc. Broken cam had also stuffed the vanos.

Hope this is wrong diagnosis for you.
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

HI

Hope it is not too serious, but for what its worth my S50 develped a noise and it sounded like it was jumping all over the engine. You couldn't put it down to a top end sound, turned out to be shell no 4, it definately didn't sound metalic at all no sound at all untill 3.5 krpm then it started in line with engine rpm.

It cost £600 to replace the shells in the bottom end only 1 bearing shell failed no 4

Good luck Matt

Comment

I would put money on it being big end bearings, and trust me, that's expensive sorry! Exactly the same symptoms as when mine went by the sounds of it.

Current - BMW M6
                Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
                Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Hopefully it's something simple like a coil pack.:)
                  Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                  In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

I've been there in August 2009 (photo below).

I'm sorry to say it sounds very much like a bearing shell. If so, your stopping so quickly should have prevented any real internal damage.

/// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Its a bearing shell. I took it in this am and am awaiting some costings... Does anyone know any way of getting parts at resonable prices or BMW contact? I'm sweating a bit as to the cost of this (i assume an engine rebuild)... but am thinking that as long as the engine is out and can be fettled - anyone have any advice on pistons/cylinder head or keep it standard?
                      Lastly, how much am i looking at here???
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spud400 View Post
                        Its a bearing shell. I took it in this am and am awaiting some costings... Does anyone know any way of getting parts at resonable prices or BMW contact? I'm sweating a bit as to the cost of this (i assume an engine rebuild)... but am thinking that as long as the engine is out and can be fettled - anyone have any advice on pistons/cylinder head or keep it standard?
                        Lastly, how much am i looking at here???
                        Chris
                        Chris, sorry to hear that, but I did suspect it as sounded very much like what happened to mine a few years ago. If I'm honest the cheapest route will be trying to source a replacement engine, which will be somewhere in the region of £2K I imagine, then labour costs, so round it to £3K all in.

I didn't want to go this route as I wanted to keep the same engine and have peace of mind of having a fully rebuilt engine back in the car. My crank was also damaged (will need a crack test to verify yours), so this was an added cost which wasn't cheap. All in I think mine came to around £5K.

Hope you were sitting down reading this :)

ETA: You might want to speak to Ragerover on here, he got a brand new engine from BMW somehow, I can't remember the exact circumstances though!

Current - BMW M6
                        Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
                        Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

If the crank's ok, then you may get away with new bearings/shells.

Comment

I think that the most important thing in deciding to rebuild or not is the state of the damaged bearing shell. In my case, the shell on cylinder 5 was smashed to smithereens, so there would be bits of swarf which had been carried in the oil through the journals. See photo below. So, unless every last piece of swarf could be removed during the rebuild, then further damage could result later.

I hope your bearing shell was not so badly damaged.

BMW provided me with a new engine (S54) because I'd been in protracted correspondence with it about the failure of BMW to do the same preventative repair for the MC that it did for the E46 M3 with the same S54 engine. My original engine had only done 31k miles.

so
                            /// Exdos ///
                            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I'm not sure as to the mileage of your car, but i would certainly put a call in to bmw, make sure you know all about the problems that have occured with other cars, and that bmw have helped them out, you've got nothing to lose.
                              Mine goes in to have the bearing shells and bolts replaced next week, nothing wrong with it, and it's only done 31.5K miles, but for the sake of 600 quid I will have peace of mind, and it might save a long drawn out fight if they do go.
                              Best of luck.
                              2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X