Basic info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic info please

Hi, brand new, just considering purchase. I was all set to buy an old 911, but I used to work for BMW and I remember a great drive I had on track once in the M Coupe. I even sold an Estoril blue one once. I do vaguely remember it kept coming back for warranty/trim issues but despite those the owner loved it.

But I need basic info - what bhp was the early one? what was standard and what was optional? What were the main differences to the second generation? I know about the vanos issue on early cars which also affected M5's, but not too worried as I know BMW technicians who can sort that.

Some sort of price guide would also be useful, although I hope to source it through the trade, so hopefully I will get a bargain.

Appreciate any help/advice. This car wasnt really even on my radar, I just remembered it when I saw one the other day.
    1998 S50 Imola Red

1997 Ferrari 355 Berlinetta

2008 Travelcard

The early one was the M3 EVO 321bhp engine.

There weren't many options; side airbags, cruise, sound upgrade (inculding sub woofer), sunroof ar the main ones I think.

Comment

cgt

Welcome and a fine choice of car to consider!

I'm sure others will add to this as well, but very briefly:

The early model (S50) has 321bhp, the later model (S54) has 325bhp.

The most significant difference between the two models is clearly the engine. S54 does not have problems with the VANOS. Other differences are largely cosmetic but are not many in number - eg slightly different dials. There were different colour choices as well for the S54.

Optional items as far as I'm aware are the Hi-Fi upgrade to Harmon Kardon, side airbags, cruise control and the sunroof. Everythingelse is standard.

Prices is a topic for debate almost daily on this forum. Expect to pay £13 - £15k for a S50 and £15k to £20k for an S54.

Happy hunting and worth looking through the FAQ section on this forum too.

Chris.
      '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

Welcome!!
        Try here for the differences:
        http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4456

I think that headlamp wash was another option ... ?
        The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
        RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

think this link will answer most of your questions ;)
          http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=17

Comment

Another option I think is the "dog net" that lifts out of the centre bulkhead up to the roof as on the BMW parts catalog it references two types of luggage covers (one with the net and one without). But UK spec may all have them, not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
              Another option I think is the "dog net" that lifts out of the centre bulkhead up to the roof as on the BMW parts catalog it references two types of luggage covers (one with the net and one without). But UK spec may all have them, not sure.
              As far as i was aware these were std. Maybe wrong tho'. ops:

I have never seen one without
              EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
              Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

''

Comment

Thanks for all the info and links guys.
                  1998 S50 Imola Red

1997 Ferrari 355 Berlinetta

2008 Travelcard

Comment

Working...
                  X