Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After advice for rust in sills

Hi guys

Haven’t posted on here in a long time, been busy searching for my Z3M and think I may have found it. There are a few niggles with it but despite this I really do like the car. It’s seems like a genuine, honest vehicle with a good history and at the right price. I feel the owner, in my opinion, has been very upfront, highlighting the issues and basically there are three issues which are all cosmetic. But this is where I would like some advice on one of them. While the body work is in very good condition there is rust in the driver side sill at the wheel arch.
    Ideally I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible and was hoping someone could advise me what is required to achieve this and a rough estimate in price. Also I live in the Walton/Weybridge area. Does anybody know a good repairer that can complete this work?
    Cheers fellas

Where exactly do you mean on the sill, where it joins the front or rear arch liner?

Having them sprayed will be relatively cheap but Fat Tony on here has bought and fitted new sills - relatively simple as i think they just bolt on and off.
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Cheers Spook, will pm Fat Tony and get a some detail.

Shane

Comment

Hey Shane,

I spotted your post earlier but held off replying until I had a chance to find a PM I'd written for somebody else, who'd asked the same question some time ago. I appear to have deleted it though

When I was looking at the MC I ended up buying, I was similarly cautious about some rust that had been neglected by one of the cars' previous owners, on the leading 'lip' inside the front wheel arch of both sills - an obvious area for stone chips. The MC had also suffered a couple of stone chips around the top centre of the lips of the rear wheel arches, and these had also started to rust a little (I assume this was probably the reason that a previous owner decided to remove the spacers from the rear wheels - you'd have thought that he'd have applied some pain protection at the same time, but alas no).

I negotiated the price of the MC down, after consulting with a local bodyshop to correct these issues. I took the car in to have it professionally sorted. They quoted me for both restoration and replacement. I was surprised to find out that the cost of new sills was actually pretty low (iirc around £80 per side) so I opted to have them replaced rather than rust treated and resprayed. As Spooks says, the sills are just bolted on so it's a simple task.

At the same time, the bodyshop treated the chassis rails with a protective treatment, as well as the inside of the new sills, removing the slight bit of rust from the rear arch lips, sprayed these up and gave the inside of the rear arches the same protective treatment as the sills, as well as a couple of other small jobs. All in, it came to around £800. The sills and the paintwork on them was/is guaranteed for 5 years. I don't have an itemised invoice that I check for only the work on the sills I'm sorry, but I'd guess at around half that price for the sills alone.

The work on the arches wasn't guaranteed but the car has seen light use through 2 winters and they still look absolutely spot on
        Last edited by Fat Tony; 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM.
        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Hi Fat Tony

Cheers for the reply, thats been really helpful. Was there a specific body repairer you went to? you wouldn't have there number would you?
          Cheers again .

Shane

Comment

Yeah, I'd be very happy to recommend these guys, though I'm sure you'll be able to find somebody just as competent closer to home

http://www.emleyrefinishers.co.uk/
            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I've just called a few places around my area and they all seem to quote in the region of £450-£500. That is the complete job. So i think that is pretty good really.
              Big smiles from me now!!!!!
              Will keep you informed with what happens.

Shane

Comment

Info here also...

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...rust+treatment

Comment

Working...
                X