Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUYING AND RUNNING

Hi guys,
    only recently joined the forum and was after some info before i buy ! Wonder if you could answer a few questions for me as im sure there is a wealth of experience on the site, alot more practical info that in a book !

Firstly which model is the one to go for as i have read quite a few comments regarding Vanos which i think (from what i have read) concerns only the older MC's. Would it be wise to get a later model, was the problem sorted on a warranty ?

Also are MC's expensive to run as im not sure if you guys use them as every day transport or a weekend toy. i only have a couple of miles to travel to work but it will be used all year around. Will servicing cripple me and will it rust ??

The choice i have at the moment is to sell my average in comparsion car and get and MC or keep the car and get a new Yamaha R1. Decisions decisions, but to be quite honest i noticed an MC a few years ago and though it was unusual and great looking, so i think the car wins it (and i haven't even been in one!) I can see why you guys (and gals) are quite fanatical !!

cheers for your replies

Rik

:twisted:

Hi Rik!

Running the car everyday is no problem dont forget its a BMW not a TVR, mine has 168k on the clock on a 51 plate!

the vanos is an issue on the S50 (up to 01) MC's and is covered under warranty but most dealers have always replaced the whole VANOS unit but there is a lot of maintanance that can be done to help prevent vanos failures. Also the vanos doesnt really fail its down to things like gears the solarnoids bolts and filters even oil.

they dont rust my old one spent 3 years on the coast then a further 6 months on the coast with me and not a spot!

The advice is always buy the best you can be it an S50 or S54, there are a couple of dogs out there but on the whole most are in great condition.

also with regards to the warrenty most people havent bothered renewing it as it now cost £1000 for under 60k cars and £1850 for over 60k cars also they now have a claim excess of £250! so even on the early (vanos issue cars) if they feel the need to replace the whole vanos unit it would only cost £2k for that!

it also means that you can get the car serviced at an indy instead of a stealers!

hope this helps!

Comment

I updated my Pistonheads profile earlier - may give you some idea.

http://www.pistonheads.com/members/s...sp?carId=17902

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers
        I updated my Pistonheads profile earlier - may give you some idea.

http://www.pistonheads.com/members/s...sp?carId=17902
        How long have you had it???

I was just comparing it to my Pistonheads costs for the Cerbera and they aren't too different which really surprises me although I didn't do quite as many miles as you have.

http://www.pistonheads.com/members/s...asp?carId=7810

Comment

2 years and a week to precise. The spray and wheels were worth it tho

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/da...35P1010129.jpg

Interesting reading on your Tiv. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers
            Interesting reading on your Tiv. 8)
            That's not what my bank manager said
            My respray wasn't entirely planned, some scrote thought my paintwork was his new etch-a-sketch :x

To think I'm after a MC as a practical and reliable mode of transport :shock:

Comment

Ben,
              thanks for taking the time to reply. i will probably keep looking at this site until one shows up and then will ask for advice again !

Comment

just been looking at broccers car profile. how long have you had the car for mate ? just gives me an idea how far 17 k goes !!

Comment

Originally posted by rikferguson
                  just been looking at broccers car profile. how long have you had the car for mate ? just gives me an idea how far 17 k goes !!
                  See above...
                  CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

ex Estoril Blue Z3M Coupe

Comment

dur.......... it was late !

Comment

Working...
                    X