Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo ISO Lead

Hi members,

I need a bit of stereo help please. Being fed up with changing CD's in the disc changer I've decided to swap the standard head unit for a Pioneer one I had in my E36 M3.

I have a 1998 with the Harman Kardon upgrade. Having bought an ISO I get power but no sound. I've been sent another lead which before I've connected it doesn't look right.

Can anyone tell me what lead I need so I can buy the correct one please?

Many thanks
    COH555
    COH555
    1998, S50, Artic, Imola/Black Leather
    2002 Ducati 748, Red
    West Kent

There's two leads you can use, both ISO. One is just a standard ISO BMW lead which connects the radio to the speaker outputs to your amp so the amp receves amped outputs. The other option is one with RCAs leads which uses the stereo pre-outs to your HK amp but I prefer the cheaper and simpler options of the standard ISO leads.

However this does not explain why you have no sound!

Comment

The problem is we can only base answers on what should be there ie a standard iso should work but no necessarily at its best ie sending amped signal to the amp but you should get sound. We don't know however if/how the wiring has been adapted by a previous owner.
      VIDEO or Journal

Comment

I guarantee this issue is to do with the amp remote turn on signal. BMW have one wire for both amp remote turn on and antenna power. Most aftermarket head units have a separate wire for each and the ISO adapters do not usually connect the correct one. The Harmon Kardon system has external amps for all speakers, so no amp turn on, no sound.

Try listening to the radio, any sound then? If yes the the wrong wire is connected. if not then probably no connection at all. Some ISO adapters are like this. Look to see the amp remote wire on your head unit is patched through to the white wire (pin 16) of the BMW connector.

Comment

Your pioneer head unit will have a blue remote cable that needs to be plugged in to send a signal to the HK amp. I cannot remember but i am sure the coupes remote wire was blue or marked up. could just put a volt meter on it just to make sure as it is only an ignition live signal that activates the amp.

Comment

Many thanks guys.

Prompt and helpful as always!

The wiring all looks to be original BMW. I'll have a fiddle when I ge home from work.

Chris
            COH555
            1998, S50, Artic, Imola/Black Leather
            2002 Ducati 748, Red
            West Kent

Comment

When I fitted my Becker headunit in my HK upgrade system, I just used a £6 ISO lead and it all worked straight away, albiet LOUD for the volume position as the amp is receiving amped signals, but I prefer it this way after trying a "HK-upgrade" BMW ISO lead too.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                When I fitted my Becker headunit in my HK upgrade system, I just used a £6 ISO lead and it all worked straight away, albiet LOUD for the volume position as the amp is receiving amped signals, but I prefer it this way after trying a "HK-upgrade" BMW ISO lead too.
                The pioneer Headunit iso is plug and play pretty much. The remote is not in the iso block as i believe its used to power external amps usually. A quick look at a wiring diagram and he can manually attach it. I wish i remembered but i know it was no hassle and it saves him £6

Comment

Working...
                X