This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Schnitzer 18inch Type II Racing 3 Piece Split Rims in Z3m Fitment

Edit: oopsposted in wrong section if a mod could move to general ?

Inspired by this car:

I put AC Schnitzer Type II Racings in genuine Z3m fitment on my "watch" list.

I had forgotten about them over the past 6 months whilst concentrating on sourcing the Type III's.

Would you believe it, the same week as I fit the Type III's and a set of 18 inch genuine 3 piece split rim Ac Schnitzer Type II racing in 8.5 ET38 and 9.5 ET9 (ie perfect Z3m fitment with no spacers and max rear dish) came up for sale on German eBay.

I've been so lucky with so many eBay bargains this year but was prepared to pay a fair amount for these as they are sooooooo rare with rear 9.5ET9 fitment.

I won the auction for ............ £297 :shock: WOW what a bargain.

Shipping was not cheap from Germany £163 but they did arrive within 2 days.

So for the pricely sum of £460 I have some very rare wheels (the bonus is the tires are only 50% worn and in Z3m sizes as these came off a Z3m, I may / may not fit new)

I knew they needed a refurb and the seller was pretty honest with his description. There is minor curbing on all and one rear has a section of heavy curbing. All the centres are in great condition though with all logos fully intact.

So I'll get them to the refurbers later this week for a barrel / rim refurb. Worst case I may need 1 new rim if its beyond repair.

Hopefully I will get fronts/rears looking something like these:

Fronts

Rears

So Type II's & Type III's down, Type I's to go (which were not "officially available)

Extract from AC Schnitzer 2002 Catalogue showing both Type II Racing and Type III Racing in Z3m fitment:

Last edited by Jonttt; 30-06-2010, 10:51 PM.
    VIDEO or Journal

Why is this in the for sale section John? Are you selling them?

I'll have them

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

I don't know, was sure I posted under general

Everything has a price............. except my ///M and the Schnitzers
      VIDEO or Journal

Comment

£5.00 please.

Comment

what a bargain JT, who are you going to refurb them?

Comment

Last edited by Dave P; 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Thats them above ;-)

I used a local "back street" company to do my Type III's and they did a fantastic job.

I've just dropped the type II's off with them and they are charging £250 to strip & refurb the lips and barrels (the centres are in good condition, the barrels are not badly corroded but for that money may as well get them done).

So bit of a bargain, just hope they do as good a job.

National Alloys
              0151 495 1880
              WA8 0SP

(they re a couple miles from the Runcorn Bridge)
              VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Jon, I really like your motivation and drive for getting these rare wheels. You kinda remind me of myself... I also went miles to get the complete staggered set of my favourites BBS RC in original ball-polished version. I ended up now with 10 17" wheels, 4x 8", 2x 8.5" and 2x 9" And now I'm contemplating idea to somehow collect a complete 18" set.... let's forget the fact, that even now I'have about 10 wheels too much in the garage

The ACS wheels weren't my first choice but thanks to you, the more I look at them the more I like them. And knowing they are rare, and I'm hooked :)

Anyway, here are few photos of another slovenian mcoupe in imola. I think you'll fancy them, here you go:

Comment

Cool, I wonder how many sets Schnitzer actually sold in Z3m fitment (ie ET 9 rears?) and even more how many of those survive.

The Type II rears seem even rarer to me than the type III's (which were 5 series with 10mm spacers).

I think they are a classic timeless design and it helps that the Z3 is from the same era.

My theory is that as the cars become rarer over the next 20 years, wheels like these will only increase in value ?
                  VIDEO or Journal

Comment

I wonder how many brake kits acs sold for the z3m? never seen a car other than the cars in the brochure with them fitted.
                    says 2 piston floating caliper in the brochure.

Comment

I've got to be frank here - and don't wish to upset anyone - but IMO the Type III non-racing is a stunning wheel, and the racing is not. I't does nothing for me at all. Looks too busy and the amount of fake-split reps of that design there are out there has cheapened them even more so.

Out of the racing splits, types I and II are King.

If I were you John, I'd jog the III's off and get these beauties on instead - considerably rarer, classier and aesthetically pleasing.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Type III racing have always been my fav wheels of all time

Will be interesting to see what the type II's look like in the flesh on the car though, I think I'll like the deeper rear dish but the type III's will always look more aggressive to me, the type II's classier.

I love the one piece versions as well, just prefer the split rims more.

ps copying is the best form of flattery, thats why there are so many reps out there, they look so darn good
                        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Update:

I picked the wheels back up form the refurbers earlier this week (they have done a great job for £250 cash) and got them balanced and fitted this afternoon

I'm glad I did not get the centre section refurbed as it polished up like new by hand and so I've retained the original AC Schnitzer stickers ;-)

This was the worst of the wheels (taken after refurb):

And the original Schnitzer stickers:

Fitted to the car (nb no spacers needed as perfect Z3m offsets front and rear )

I've retained the tyres that came with the wheels. I was going to fit new Falkens but they are branded (mixed continental and dunlops) and have too much tread on them to throw away (5-6mm) so saved me £500.

So I now have both AC Schnitzer Type II and Type III racing split Rims which is the perfect set up for me ie Type II's are more "classic" and I love the deep dish, Type III are more "aggressive".

I'm a very happy camper, cost totalled £710
                          Last edited by Jonttt; 16-07-2010, 05:53 PM.
                          VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Working...
                          X