Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MGR View Post
    neil, broccers has stolen your job !

The car market is not good at the moment. I'm also having almost no interest even though I think I have priced my car fairly and its below the online price guides etc. No one is buying cars at the moment apart from very cheap diesels.
    Hardly.

Irks when we have a community of givers (for nothing) and those who lurk offering zero asking for advice on selling probably gleaning loads of info while they owned the car.

If you guys are fine with that, that's cool with me.

While on value, your car is worth what someone will pay, if it's worth more to you then keep it.

I notice Steve1 is commenting on this thread and other ex owners, good to see you still around. Proves the point these cars hold a special place in people's hearts and for that alone you can't place a figure.

Like I have said, mine is for sale due to lack of use, but it won't be given away. If it's kept, it's kept, I don't need the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers View Post
      Hardly.

Irks when we have a community of givers (for nothing) and those who lurk offering zero asking for advice on selling probably gleaning loads of info while they owned the car.

I agree but then again info is what the forum is for. Some people may not feel able to post due to lack of knowledge or experience etc. Some clearly can't be bothered and don't want to participate in the forum community.

I agree it is odd for the first post to be about selling the car. It does happen on other forums and they often have a minimum post limit in certain areas such as the for sale section.
      Ex 2001 S54
      New cars:
      Lotus Carlton
      350Z

Comment

Originally posted by T111MSF View Post
        I'm not sure why we get so tetchy about the price people place their car up for? If someone wants to put a £17,500 tag on a 104,000 miler, slightly high agreed, fair play to him.

Can you imagine if it were the other way around? There'd be outrage!! You'd be immensely upset, I know I would. We'd all feel these people were de-valuing our pride and joys. It's for this very reason I think, if anything, we should celebrate the fact that people are pricing their cars higher than some people think the current market value is.

This forum is unique, the cars are unique and they're rightly destined for classic status. Lets not be to hard here otherwise we'll talk ourselves into unnecessary deprecation through simple gossip. You might argue I'm adding to this so I better stop!!
        I completely agree!!
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers View Post
          Hardly.

While on value, your car is worth what someone will pay, if it's worth more to you then keep it.

I notice Steve1 is commenting on this thread and other ex owners, good to see you still around. Proves the point these cars hold a special place in people's hearts and for that alone you can't place a figure.

Like I have said, mine is for sale due to lack of use, but it won't be given away. If it's kept, it's kept, I don't need the money.
          Broccers
          Do you know if there are any issues with storing the car with little use? i m think thinking that maybe i just mothball the MC for a few years.
          Cheers

Comment

Storing vehicles can be very problematic. They invariably need as much, if not more, servicing as a car in use. It's far better to keep the car in a dry and airy garage and take the car out for a 10 mile drive every fortnight to get everything up to temperature and properly lubricated.

A stored car needs battery maintenance, regularly moving to keep the tyres "round" and the brakes need using to prevent them rusting and seizing.
            /// Exdos ///
            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              I think it's the same old story; rare car, small market/audience and the number for sale fluctuates a little. We were saying something similar then cars got "scarce" and some were selling at higher prices again. If you're trying to sell something more mainstream like an E46 M3 then that is a better relfection of the used market IMO.
              Yes confirm that..
              I wait another 3 years,in this time i need to do
              1 buy home
              2 married
              3 son
              After must sell my mcoupe... hope to trade whit few money whit an m3 v8
              Anyway yestarday talking whit my girlfriend about this,sincereley i can't imagine the day i sell my car..
              (smile cry)
              www.fastdrive.org
              S50 black/black-red In Rome
              Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                Storing vehicles can be very problematic. They invariably need as much, if not more, servicing as a car in use. It's far better to keep the car in a dry and airy garage and take the car out for a 10 mile drive every fortnight to get everything up to temperature and properly lubricated.

A stored car needs battery maintenance, regularly moving to keep the tyres "round" and the brakes need using to prevent them rusting and seizing.
                I drive mine at the most once a month and have had no real brake or battery problems or flat spots on the tyres, I have now bought a trickle charger which should maintain the battery. the market may be completely different in a couple of months so may be worth keeping it for a while longer.

Comment

I have minor issues with the LC, I use it maybe once a month, maybe twice and its ok ish but things are starting to feel like they aren't running quite as smoothly. It drives much better if used weekly. I'd sell it tbh the amount you may spend servicing it will wipe out much of the gains if there are any in the car market. On the other hand the car market may stay low for a considerable amount of time.
                  Ex 2001 S54
                  New cars:
                  Lotus Carlton
                  350Z

Comment

I'm approaching mid 90k now and am gonna whack another 2k on driving to Switzerland soon.
                    Car feels as good, actually better than the day bought it but I do worry a little about selling it with 100k+.
                    Then again, how much more would I get with 30k less? 3grand maybe. 4 tops.
                    I've enough fun to be worth that over 5 years.

Have thought about selling, but the less its worth, the less likely you are to sell as it limits your choices going forward.

Someone at work has a focus they bought brand new, similar age, same mileage and it fucked. 2 windows don't work, dents everywhere, stuffed clutch etc.
                    FSH too.
                    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Any machinery is better used than not.

My S54 is as good as ever. I00 miles most days. If something fails, it gets fixed.

As for as value, purchased mine from a BMW main dealer almost 6 years ago for £22K (with 23K miles).

Car now done 155K miles. Bumper and bonnet will be resprayed next spring and wheels refurbised, budgeting 1.5K. It will then be near perfect.

So what's it worth? To me it's priceless and will be retained "forever". If I sold it for £5K it would still only have cost less than 3K per year in depreciation. For a car with "super car" performance, this is a bargain!!

For goodness sake, use them as they were intended. The depreciation is peanuts!

Ian
                      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                        To me it's priceless and will be retained "forever".
                        Ian
                        Good one.
                        Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

3 days in and not one nibble on my low priced high-miler, despite it being in excellent condition for the age and mileage. I thought I'd put it on at a fair price? I'm not going to undersell it though if the market is stagnant. I'd rather just store it and get a cheap diesel slag for work if needs be.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster View Post
                            3 days in and not one nibble on my low priced high-miler, despite it being in excellent condition for the age and mileage. I thought I'd put it on at a fair price? I'm not going to undersell it though if the market is stagnant. I'd rather just store it and get a cheap diesel slag for work if needs be.
                            "3 days" though. The audience is small, some cars take weeks/months to sell, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the wrong price, maybe just the buyer hasn't looked yet!

Comment

In my opinion ( for what its worth...!) - MC buyers come along in two brackets.

1) Someone looking for a cheap relatively fast car that is a bit different and goes for an S50

I think these buyers are becoming short on the ground because any car could have huge bills and its difficult to find great S50`s with warranty...and the vanos thing scares first time buyers...

2) The Collector who only wants a mint S54 because he craves the higher deiserability and has no cost issues and will use only on occasion and knows that the S54 is the sounder long term investment...

This is why we are seeing cheapo cars sell and mint expensive examples. I think if you have a BMW warranty you could sell your car at a good price S50 or S54....

Also remember you can get an M6 from a dealer for £28K now - one in my local dealership for screen price £29K two weeks ago....these factors also have a bearing..?

Sytners BMW-Steel Grey S54-Red/Black Leather-Totally Standard.....

Comment

Originally posted by N7KHO View Post
                                In my opinion ( for what its worth...!) - MC buyers come along in two brackets.

1) Someone looking for a cheap relatively fast car that is a bit different and goes for an S50

I think these buyers are becoming short on the ground because any car could have huge bills and its difficult to find great S50`s with warranty...and the vanos thing scares first time buyers...

2) The Collector who only wants a mint S54 because he craves the higher deiserability and has no cost issues and will use only on occasion and knows that the S54 is the sounder long term investment...

This is why we are seeing cheapo cars sell and mint expensive examples. I think if you have a BMW warranty you could sell your car at a good price S50 or S54....

Also remember you can get an M6 from a dealer for £28K now - one in my local dealership for screen price £29K two weeks ago....these factors also have a bearing..?

You also don't know what the cheaper cars actually sell for.
                                Ex 2001 S54
                                New cars:
                                Lotus Carlton
                                350Z

Comment

Working...
                                X