Radiator sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator sensor

I have just realised that the sensor on the o/f of radiator is disconnected, I have tried plugging it back in but seems very very stiff like it does not want to plug in. I am not too sure if its ever been plugged in. my water temp works as it should. Does anyone know if that sensor sends a feed to the ecu or is it just a signal for the clocks?

It's a temp sensor switch for the electric (aircon fan), it's set so high as standard unless the your temp gauge goes over 3/4 (very unlikely with the viscous fan) it will never kick in.

I changed mine for a lower temp switch off a 1.9 (and took the viscous fan off at the same time).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      It's a temp sensor switch for the electric (aircon fan), it's set so high as standard unless the your temp gauge goes over 3/4 (very unlikely with the viscous fan) it will never kick in.

I changed mine for a lower temp switch off a 1.9 (and took the viscous fan off at the same time).
      Thanks Chris Appreciate the explanation. If you do not mind me picking your brain, is there any reason you removed the fan?

Comment

The viscous fan blades over time can become brittle and if the viscous clutch locks whilst you are giving it some beans the fan blades can shatter destroying the radiator and making a right mess of the engine bay. Shouldn't happen normally but this happened to a friend last week whilst test driving a Z3 fortunatly he hadn't bought it nor was he going to after being scared witless.

Plus having the fan constantly turning does sap some power away.
        Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
        ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

As above, though the main risk I was aware of is that if the water pump/bearing fails it can send the viscous fan into the radiator. Also didn't like the noise when it the shortest of queues it'd lock and sound like an old van.

With the lower temp sensor temps are fine in traffic (although I put an over-ride switch too).

Comment

Working...
          X