Corrosion correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrosion correction

Using all this spare time to do some preventive maintenance on the Coupe. Having removed the sill covers and under trays, I've got some very light corrosion I'd like to take care of while everything is off.

Is the standard procedure to remove the surface corrosion, treat with Kurust, paint over with POR15, and then a coat of underseal (something like Hammerite Underbody Seal?)? Then drown all the box sections in Waxoyl/Dinitrol? What about seam sealer for all the various edges?

Thanks.
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Reddish Motorsport have two gooid videos of this on Youtube, the second one, blue car was mine when I took it there.

This will give you a pretty thorough overview of what's involved.

Depends how minor/major it is, mine wasn't disterous and not structural but took some tidying, its good the sills are so thick :)

Comment

Thanks. Off to YouTube.....

Comment

I used POR15 on mine the first time, didn't last very long! See my thread for the later fix (using Bilt Hamber products)

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Bugger, just read through your thread (stunning car!), wish I'd seen it before I ordered all the POR 15 stuff yesterday..... ����*♂️

Comment

Thank you!

It might have been down to my prep so see how you get on

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

I think you'll be fine, it good stuff but like anything it's all down to the prep.

Used it on a couple of cars and it seemed to work well but admittedly nothing I kept for more than 2-3 years.

I'm dropping my rear subframe at the moment and tempted to blast it and then POR it although maybe I should just send it to the powder coaters but then some say powdercoat chips off easier! And will powedercoaters be open??!

Comment

Had stuff powder coated in April, mine has not closed

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Being the ditherer that I am, I decided to hedge my bets..... I've ordered the Bilt Hamber products and I'm going to use them on the sills (they also seem a bit easier/ less toxic to apply). But I'm also going to drop the rear subframe and use all the POR 15 stuff to paint that as it's going to be less critical if it doesn't go on perfectly.

Urquattrogus, many thanks for the link to your video. Although mine only has very minor surface corrosion, it's a very helpful guide.

Comment

Working...
                  X