That little rust mark !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That little rust mark !

Having my car re-painted with new panels etc.....bonnet was a nightmare with different layers of paint...i guess a 98 car is to be expected...no holes anywhere underneath...which was a great suprise !attached are my old sill's

Blimey

Comment

Mine were as bad as that before I replaced them too. New ones were undersealed and I applied sealant between wheel arch liner and sill cover when I rebuilt the car. Should be good for years to come now
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

I guess the issue i had hardly any of this was noticeable from the outside except for some rust on the outside of the edges in front and behind the wheels..the good news was the actual structure is as sound as a pound..

Comment

Well,further progress today all paint,sealant,primers all removed from bonnet ready for etching etc...with only a tiny little dent about the size of a match head revealed..no filler anywhere or rust.I guess with so many coats on it it was fairly well protected,i am always amazed with the amount of prep these jobs require.
          Attached Files

Comment

bare metal paint job should look great

Comment

My bonnet was on a stand laying flat today after a final sanding ready for etching etc..and i must say the lines of our bonnets look fantastic..under bright lights,

Comment

Out of interest, how much were the new sills?

Also, what were the front/rear wings like (where they meet the sills)? Mine are starting to bubble a bit and it never crossed my mind I'd need new panels (which I hopefully won't!)
                2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

rust

i replaced the sills on mine several months back only to discover rust on inside of rear panels.it is going this morning to to a local body shop with a good reputation to remove arch plastic and decide whether i need new arches or they can be repaired if aren,t to bad.hopefully the latter as i am informed rear arches are around £400 each.also the seams on the underside of bonnet are showing rust but was told this is an easy fix.i suppose at 15 years old and 90k it is to be expected.i will post on damage and cost later today,fingers crossed.

Comment

Mine's going in for paint soon too......Thanks for posting Mel, I'm expecting my sills and arches to be bad as they've started to bubble in places.

Comment

Fok..
                      The sills are just covers,the main box section inside mine was good...but as you can see the sills wer shot....but with no bubbling outside just a hint of rust...all bolts came out ok...problem was with the bonnet having so many layers on it...the nearside wing had started to go too..and is being replaced ....

Comment

I bought 2 x sills, 2 x wings, a driver's door, and a rear bumper for £300 a few years ago.........I had no use for them then but I'm kind of glad I did now.

Comment

Fok...you had a touch mate...i think i paid £130 ish per new sill....well done....i have never been able to align my front bumper up properly...well to stay aligned...painter found i had only 1 bolt holding underneath !!! B$%^^^s ! will be secured properly this time tho...the front wing on one of mine has started to rot on the inside ledge thing....new one going on...all new parts etc are gonna be sealed with protector...cant wait to see it done !!!

Comment

Any guides on sill and wing removal - I couldn't spot any on the knowledge base (apologies if I've missed an obviously one!)
                            2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by daviddunn View Post
                              Any guides on sill and wing removal - I couldn't spot any on the knowledge base (apologies if I've missed an obviously one!)
                              how to guide here,

https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z...protection.67/

Comment

Working...
                              X