Servicing, what to have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing, what to have done?

Hi Guys, I've an s50 98 coupe, its now on 105k ish, i bought the car a few months back and have since been giving it a light restoration, full respray, wheel refurb, new tyres, interior a damn good clean(leather dye en route).

Before i start driving it I want to give it all a good spruce up with regard to the mechanicals. It has a full history, hasn't done many miles in the last 5 years or so and the history is...

2011 97k insp1
    2013 100k oil service but also, plugs, fuel filter, brake bleed
    2014 104k oil service

...that brings us up to now, I'm thinking oil service, all three filters, diff oil, gearbox oil and that should do it. Is there anything else that I should really look at getting done, is diff and box oil worth changing? I'm all for preventative maintenance so if theres anything i've missed and pointers would be greatly appreciated?

I should really start a project thread and time permitting I'll get one sorted with the pics I've been taking, just can't wait to get it in and out of the garage now so I can crack on with the
    Last edited by benny-g; 17-01-2016, 11:10 PM.

I'd get a full Inspection 2 to include diff oil. This should also include full brake check for function and wear. Also would have gearbox and brake fluid changed.
    Is all well under the car, eg ARB bushes, brake pipes etc? Light use is not good for these cars IMO.

I use a trusted indy, would expect cost to be circa £500/£1000.

Good luck,
    Ian
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Sounds like it'll be an interesting project thread

If you're going to do the gearbox oil, change it for the AMSOIL stuff, quick search on the site will have more details. It'll lighten/smooth the gear change no end.
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Diff and gearbox oil well worth doing as may have never been done before

Comment

Thats great, definitely going for the box and diff oils, I've searched for a retailer selling the amsoil mtf but can't see anyone doing it, anyone have any pointers as to who online sells it, or a good alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by benny-g View Post
            Thats great, definitely going for the box and diff oils, I've searched for a retailer selling the amsoil mtf but can't see anyone doing it, anyone have any pointers as to who online sells it, or a good alternative?
            Opie Oils did sell the Amsoil MTF but looks like they no longer stock it

Comment

Just did a quick search and found these....

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/...nsmission.html
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Vanos solenoid seals and filter (as a minimum).
                Valve clearances

Suspension, unless it's had significant previous work it is worth spending time (and money) here.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Torn between the Amsoil and the Royal Purple Synchromax, some seem to worry that with the Amsoil being of a higher viscosity that it might not quite be getting into the right places and potentially limiting the life of the box, not something I want to do. I'll use the car on both warm and cold days, have any of you guys noticed the Amsoil being crunchy when cold?

Here's one thread I came across, mainly Yanks... http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...AMSoil-in-250G

Comment

Also am I right in thinking 2l of each, gearbox and diff oil will suffice?

Comment

Royal purple for me
                      Give me a shout if you need a supplier
                      [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Working...
                      X