New owner. Silver 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner. Silver 2000

As some of you may have seen, a silver m coupe was sold at CCA auctions on Saturday. I was the winning bidder! I put in a cheeky commission bid, not expecting to win.

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/bmw-z3m-coupe-8081

Picking up the car tomorrow. I live in Northern Ireland and I haven't seen the car in the flesh!
    Hoping there isn't too many surprises. After a short google search with its reg, I did find out about some of its history. It was owned by a guy in France for a while in 2014. I found it on a French forum thread. He had made lots of modifications with the suspension. And the one of the owners before him him had it fitted with a short shifter and Remus exhaust. All these things point to it having a hard life. He also had a few photos of the car at the Nurburgring

If anyone knows anything else about the cars history I'd love to hear about it. Unless it's really bad then maybe it's best you don't tell me

Plan with the car is to try and get it back to original. Get all the mechanical gremlins sorted. And get the bodywork back to its best. If it's as good as I hope, I plan to keep it and drive it!

I'm buying it with my Dad. Both of us have been fans of the m coupe since they were new. Always looking for one to buy but recently the prices have been untouchable. This one seems like a bargain, fingers crossed it's not buggered!
    2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
    2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
    1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. There is some history on the forum as at least a couple of owners have been forum members.

Comment

Some details here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9028

Comment

Welcome Chris
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
          Thanks for welcome and the link. Interesting that the short shifter was fitted early on. What's the deal with the short shifter? Big conversion? Is it a common modification? Is it easy to change back for originality? Is it even an improvement or was done for the track?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the oil leak. The description is very vague. Hopefully it's nothing major. Though it has been an advisory on the last few MOTs, so if it is something simple then surely it would have been fixed somewhere along the way.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Welcome.

The oil leak could be anything from the diff, or the engine most likely being from the rocker cover, the sump or vanos.

In any case, you got yourself a great deal!

Comment

I'd say most likely culprit of the oil leak is a small screw in valve on the back of the engine. Someone was selling new o-rings (which have a tendency to dry out as it's on the exhaust side of the enginge).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                I'd say most likely culprit of the oil leak is a small screw in valve on the back of the engine. Someone was selling new o-rings (which have a tendency to dry out as it's on the exhaust side of the enginge).
                Any photos of this and how accessible is it?

Link to the o ring?

Comment

It's called the constant pressure valve, it's up behind the exhaust manifolds and has a big flat head screwdriver slot to undo and tighten. I bought a new one as that was the only way to get a new o-ring from BMW, but there was a thread a while back where someone had a run made, or you can buy them for about £5 from some aftermarket places.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...light=pressure

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...QrZbM64FBs2oww

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    I had the valve replaced earlier this year as had the odd drip of oil on garage floor. Got my Indy to replace it as he said the spring loses tension anyway.
                    The undertray was very oily, all cleaned, no further leaks.

I'll have a look later when I get home for the details.

Chris W, welcome to the site, you'll find loads of information to help you on here.
                    Last edited by petecossie; 25-09-2017, 04:01 PM.
                    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                    1986 M635
                    1985 E28 M5
                    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Currently waiting for the Ferry in Holyhead. Drove the 4 hours to get here and the car definitely puts a smile on your face!
                      Couple of things to worry about. A creaking noise from the back. Hopefully just the shocks and not the subframe? Is the cracked subframe a problem on these or is that just an M3 thing?
                      Rust spots on the sills and a few other places.
                      A pool of water inside the fuel cap compartment. Can't feel any blocked drains, dunno how it got there or how to get rid of it.
                      Car idles too low and almost conks out. Felt a bit lumpy when we first drove it but improved once it warmed up. Auction description said it had just had a major service so it shouldn't be running lumpy. Maybe it's sat still for a long time and it just needs a good drive.
                      Air con doesn't seem to be cold at all.
                      Clutch is making a noise, maybe pressure plates.
                      Apart from all that, the cars awesome!

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

I might be being stupid, but I can't see how to upload photos?

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

maybe you should have bought mine

In all seriousness best of luck with the car-they are fantastic.

My advice would be to get someone who knows their way around these really well to do an inspection and go from there.

At least that way you know what your are dealing with and you can decide what you are prepared to tackle yourself and what you can farm out.

The great thing about this forum is that everyone is willing to help so there is nothing that can't be sorted.

Good luck with the car

Fin

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                          Currently waiting for the Ferry in Holyhead. Drove the 4 hours to get here and the car definitely puts a smile on your face!
                          Couple of things to worry about. A creaking noise from the back. Hopefully just the shocks and not the subframe? Is the cracked subframe a problem on these or is that just an M3 thing?
                          A pool of water inside the fuel cap compartment. Can't feel any blocked drains, dunno how it got there or how to get rid of it.
                          Car idles too low and almost conks out. Felt a bit lumpy when we first drove it but improved once it warmed up. Auction description said it had just had a major service so it shouldn't be running lumpy. Maybe it's sat still for a long time and it just needs a good drive.

Comment

I might be being stupid, but I can't see how to upload photos?

Re the fuel filler problem there is a tiny drain hole in the rubber sleeve that gets blocked but a thin piece of wire or straightened metal coat hanger should unblock it, pictures need to be "hosted" on another site like flickr etc

Comment

Creaking could be the rear subframe, a bit different to the e46 but same type of problem. You can buy kits to fix or diy it, proper inspection is done within the boot but requires tools and sound deadening to be removed.

Sills bolt on and off and are prone to rust at front and back.

Aircon most likely to be the condenser.

Hot idle should be a smooth 6/700rpm.

Comment

Working...
                              X