No announcement yet.

Brake cooling; removing disc "guard"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon tweeks have a selection of ready made intake mouths in the motor sports section that may make life a little easier

Comment

One thing to note is that there is a air intake opening in the passenger side (RHD) brake duct that feeds air into the bottom of the airbox which should be keep clear of obstructions

Last edited by Dave P; 23-12-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I'll have to check mine, I certainly didn't notice any difference though I don't think it's fully blocked (and the setup is far from air tight too), but my car runs the limiter in 5th so does still go ok

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
          I've recently knocked up some simple brake ducts and fitted them on to my MC last weekend.

I've driven in the company of two different members of the forum since; one with a Stoptech BBK kit with OEM wheels and the other member with OEM brakes and wheels but with uprated pads (I have Red Stuff pads all round and BBS RXII wheels). Using a digital pyrometer to take temperatures of the discs immediately after stopping from a drive, I found that rear brake temperatures are similar in all three cars and therefore these act as a gauge for the consistency of all the readings. The Stoptech record slightly lower or similar temperatures to my own front brakes, but the OEM front brakes recorded more than 30 degs C hotter than mine, after a spirited drive of about 8 miles followed by about 5 minutes of slow driving through a town before temperatures were recorded.

I made the cooling ducts out of a metre length of 2" flexible brake duct hose which I bought off ebay for £15 including p&p, some 2" aluminium tube and a few scraps of aluminium sheet I had lying around, 4 stainless steel jubilee clips and some cable ties.

If you closely inspect the dust-guard on the inside of the front brakes, you'll see that it doesn't completely cover the entire disc and that there is a hole at the centre just in front of the bottom of the damper. If you rotate the disc whilst looking through the hole, you can see that air can enter through the dust guard and blow between the two faces of the ventilated discs.

So, I cut a short length of ali tube, and welded a "T" piece onto it with a hole I'd drilled through it, so that the "T" piece fitted between the damper and the disc guard so that I could pass a cable tie through the hole to secure the ali tube to the damper. I fitted a second cable tie around the tube to keep the tube securely in a position from which it couldn't easily move. I attached about half a metre of the flexible tube to the ali tube with a Jubilee clip.

[imghttp://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/data//500/53BDWheel1.jpg[/img]

I'd previously spent a bit of time assessing the best place to fit the mouth of my brake duct and I'd identified the rear corner of the front undertray on each side, just in front of the ARB, because air passes straight through the front grille, just above the bumper, from a zone of high pressure. I made a little orifice out of the ali tube and welded a small side to it in order to make a crude funnel and attached the tube to the ali orifice with another Jubilee clip.

I found that fitting the orifice tube with the tube pointing directly into the wheel arch placed the least stress on the flexible tubing. I rotated the steering from full lock in both directions and cut the flexible tubing to the perfect length by trial and error, so that when it was fully extended, it was not stretched or taught, and when concertinaed in compression, it was not crushed against anything solid nor was it too slack. Getting the length of the tubing spot-on should ensure that the tubing lasts a long time and that there's no pressure on the two ends of attachment, causing the ali fittings to move.

Now that I've trialled this idea, I shall now make a much better aluminium fittings, and with them, I'd expect to see even better brake cooling.
          it is not possible to see any pic´s!
          have you an answer?
          thank you!
          1998 S50 MC dakar, reimportet from Japan,
          18" E46M3, KW V3, Powerflex, H&R Anti Roll Bars,
          BMW Performance with CSL-Disc and HAWK Pads,
          Michelin Sport Cup (only NBR)
          --------------------------------------
          No race, no fun!

Comment

Originally posted by hans winkler View Post
            it is not possible to see any pic´s!
            have you an answer?
            thank you!
            The linked photos must have been stored on another site and got deleted.

Anyway here's a few photos of parts used.

These are the bits that I made out of a couple of bits of aluminium scrap that fit onto the inside of the front hubs. You need Left and Right handed versions. The tube is 50mm outside diameter. They are attached to the front dampers with some 7mm wide plastic cable ties.

Then you need 0.5m of 51mm ducting and attach with Jubilee clips.

I've then made some forward-facing inlet scoops from 50mm aluminium tubing which attach to the front ARB.

It's very simple to do and it took me an afternoon to make and fit these parts about 7 years ago, and they're still on the car today.

I bought a Z4MC about 2 years ago and I made some similar brake ducting for that car and here's some info of what I did which should help you see how it's done: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showpo...9&postcount=13
            Last edited by exdos; 18-01-2014, 06:40 PM. Reason: more info
            /// Exdos ///
            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Mate that looks ace !

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                The linked photos must have been stored on another site and got deleted.
                Anyway here's a few photos of parts used.
                Hi exdos,

many thanks, great job!

Cheers,
                Hans.
                1998 S50 MC dakar, reimportet from Japan,
                18" E46M3, KW V3, Powerflex, H&R Anti Roll Bars,
                BMW Performance with CSL-Disc and HAWK Pads,
                Michelin Sport Cup (only NBR)
                --------------------------------------
                No race, no fun!

Comment

Working...