Help pls - water leak into car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help pls - water leak into car!

Hi guys, have noticed that my car has sprung a leak after washing it last weekend! After running a watering can over the screen a small puddle of water can be seen at the front of the passenger footwell near the transmission tunnel. I have had the plastic scuttle trim off and the 2 water escape holes are clear. Briefly spoke to my local stealers and they think its prob a work grommet but there do not seem to be any there, just the heater motor. I think it must be getting in around the heater motor somewhere but does anyone know where? Should the plastic scuttle form a water tight seal onto the bottom of the screen so that water goes over it and then down somewhere else? The silicone at the min looks quite perished. Any help would be most appreciated! Cheers, Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

i had this, i might be blocked roof gutters, remove the black plastic trim on the roof and clean the dirt out. I've mentioned this on the forum before as someone else had the same problem, you can search for it. I just had a damp carpet in the morning once, cleaned the roof gutters out and unblocked the drain tube around the windscreen and that fixed it.
    Imola S50 1999

Comment

Hi Cragg, thanks for the reply. I haven’t looked to see if they are blocked but I now think I have spotted the problem.

Water seems to be running down the centre of the windscreen and getting into the heater motor area and then leaking into the car where hot/cold air is meant to. Does anyone know whether the scuttle should actually form a watertight seal against the bottom of the windscreen when fixed into position? (My car had a bead of black silicone/putty there when I removed it which has perished quite badly in places – especially centre of screen) If I run the water down the side of the screen it doesn’t leak as it runs into the holes and passes out under the car as designed.

If not, then I wonder if I have something missing from my heater inlet like a cover to keep water out as it doesn’t leak if I press the close circulation button as I can watch the little flaps shut off which stops any water running in.

Would appreciate anyone who has had this scuttle panel off before to let me know as I ive siliconed the scuttle to the bottom of the screen as an interim measure to keep the rain we keep having out!

Cheers
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
      X