X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbag light on after steering wheel swap

Hi all,

I wonder if you could help?

I had a retrimmed steering wheel fitted last night by a friend of the chap who retrims them (The same wheel Keith fitted to his Dakar MC).

Anyway, the guys who fitted the wheel last night had a couple of issues with the slip ring and the little plastic tab which fits in the centre of the wheel catching when turning the steering wheel.

Basically as I test drove the car to make sure the wheel was straight etc, i got to nearly full lock to the left, the steering went a bit heavy then there was a snapping/click sound and the air bag light pinged on.

My horn doesnt work either now.

The guys said they have the tool to reset the airbag light, however I can't work out why the horn doesnt work now. They are coming back tonight to take a look and to get it sorted, however I guess what I'm looking for is for someone to answer if the standard steering wheels on our MC's are the same as the ones from an M3 Evo (I assume the retrimmed one isnt from an MC).

I hope its just the plastic tab thats broken, not the expensive slip ring (had the tabs from both wheels)?

Anyone got any thoughts, or advice about lining up new wheels and replacing the slip ring etc _ he may have missed the wire off for the horn?

I should have just paid a holding deposit on the wheel and given it to CPC, seeing as the car is going in on monday anyway, but hey thats life!

cheers andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
    2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Sounds to me like the slip ring wasn't correctly located. Had a similar issue after the wheel was removed by an indi to fit cruise control - although the airbag light/horn weren't affected.

Had the tight steering, odd noise issue. Replaced the slip ring myself and all was then well.

Slip ring cost £89.11 from BMW in Sep 09.
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
      Sounds to me like the slip ring wasn't correctly located. Had a similar issue after the wheel was removed by an indi to fit cruise control - although the airbag light/horn weren't affected.

Had the tight steering, odd noise issue. Replaced the slip ring myself and all was then well.

Slip ring cost £89.11 from BMW in Sep 09.
      Thanks Ian, having done a bit of research, I see that heavy steering is a symptom of a mis aligned slip ring, however the steering does feel fine now?
      strange. I'll take it apart myself later when I get home.

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

My symptoms were intermittent - some days appeared, other a pain.

It's a straight forward job, just make sure air bag is disabled by disconnecting battery - guess that's obvious but.....

Good luck,

Ian
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

The slip ring must NOT be turned when it's removed from the column or steering wheel as it has a certain number of turns it will do left to right off centre for the steering. It sounds like it's wound up tight and you've broken by turning it too far hence nothing now working and the airbag light is on as the wires inside it will be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            The slip ring must NOT be turned when it's removed from the column or steering wheel as it has a certain number of turns it will do left to right off centre for the steering. It sounds like it's wound up tight and you've broken by turning it too far hence nothing now working and the airbag light is on as the wires inside it will be broken.
            Bugger.

Oh well, looks like a new slip ring.

Will get Phil to sort it out tomorrow. I've disconnected the battery this morning to take the wheel off again and make sure there are no wires dangling in the steering column... slightly freaks me out knowing where is loose wiring behind the steering wheel.

cheers
            andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

bought a spare slip ring for my mc from Quarry Motors (0114 275 5916) cost me about £13. delivered, there are different types so worth checking with your chassis number on real oem.

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                bought a spare slip ring for my mc from Quarry Motors (0114 275 5916) cost me about £13. delivered, there are different types so worth checking with your chassis number on real oem.
                I took the wheel off this morning and you can see the old slip ring is damaged (plastic on the back is chipped and cable inside looks stretched - the ribbon bit). There are no wires hanging out, so I put it back on again and will let CPC sort it out.

Looking at REAL OEM today, the part number on the 'new' steering wheel didnt match the number on REAL OEM for my car, however I collected my old wheel and both part numbers are on that, so that probably rules out the wheel being different?! (mine is a 2000 may build s50)

I'll probably just get a new slip ring - £90 for piece of mind is no big deal... just means my new steering wheel wasnt as good value as I thought it was going to be.

For the record, the chap Jack who makes the new wheels has been very helpful (he didnt fit it) - and the workmanship of the new wheel is wonderful.

Cheers
                andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

If your car is a may 2000 build S50 then it will be a dual stage airbag system which has a different slipring and connectors (the Z3's changed from single to dual stage from April 2000)

You can fit a single stage wheel to a dual stage system but you need to fit a resistor to bridge the 2nd circuit or you will get the airbag light and the whole system is shut down including passenger airbag, seat belt tensioners etc....(nb you cannot fit a dual stage airbag to a single stage system)

ps probably explains why your horn does not work as well ie botched up job when they realised different connectors, out of order really when your messing with an explosive airbag system !
                  Last edited by Jonttt; 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM.
                  VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Dual Stage bags were from 04/99 which tied in with the "facelift" bits like chrome ringed headlights, double lines roof (roadster), chrome inner grills etc.

Why did you not retain/fit the original slip ring as I would have though only the bare wheel was being replaced?

Comment

Dual Stage bags were from 04/99 which tied in with the "facelift" bits like chrome ringed headlights, double lines roof (roadster), chrome inner grills etc.

Why did you not retain/fit the original slip ring as I would have though only the bare wheel was being replaced?
                      The chap doing the swap used my original slip ring and from what I can gather he installed it incorrectly by moving the slip ring itself.

When i compared both wheels - pre apr 99 and my May 00 one they looked identical despite Real OEM showing different part numbers. (both wheels had the apr 99 part no on)

Anyway, its with CPC now, so when I collect on Saturday I'll be able to update this thread with definitive info on whether it'll fit or not without modification. Lets hope I dont drive it home on Sat with the old wheel.

cheers
                      andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

IC! I wouldn't have thought there'd be a difference in part number for the bare wheel as it was the airbag that had changed but you never know with car parts!

Comment

IC! I wouldn't have thought there'd be a difference in part number for the bare wheel as it was the airbag that had changed but you never know with car parts!
                          Tell me about it. he literally swapped the bare wheel, keeping my airbag, slipring etc.

It's been driving me nuts. Modifying cars is rarely straightforward!

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

You never know it may have just been the stitching is different late vs early or something daft like - I think it's just that the slip ring was moved in transfer cocking things up.

Comment

UPDATE -

Collected the car from CPC this week with a nice new (working) wheel and no airbag light displayed.

Phil gave me the old slip ring, and the connector had the ribbon cable ripped out of it... source of the problem.

Looking at both of the wheels, the only difference I could see was the slot for the wires, is slightly bigger on the newer wheel, however you can still fit the wires through into the old one and to confirm, it definitely all works.

To clarify, My Coupe is a May 2000 build with the dual stage airbag, and I had a pre April 1999 steering wheel fitted, whilst retaining my airbag and slipring.

Crappy dark iPhone pic :)

cheers
                              andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X