Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > Welcome and New Owners Section
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Hellooo!!

Hi folks, New owner of `Not a Diesels!!`MC. 1990, Estoril, 52k mls. Drove it steady from Goring-by-sea. Could see peoples on Motorways not really sure of what it is?? Tried to buy Frank Sytners own car in late 90`s. Estoril, £6ks worth of Schnitzer stuff on it. Wonder where it is now?

First question!!(s) Why different tyre profile front/rear? Whats best pressure to run? Can you run larger profile on rear? Where is best place to take for service in East Mids?

Cheers Chris.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Hi Chris, welcome!

I am from Derby and there are a few of us, quite literally a few(!), in and around the midlands. Whereabouts are you?

Tyre sizes vary front to back because its RWD kicking out a fair amount of power so a staggered setup is best. I have 18" wheels on mine now and am running 265's on the back, some people have 285's I believe! On 17" rims you would have to be careful not to make the tyre look like a balloon without dropping the ratio of width/sidewall but if you do a search on here you will find lots of info.

Regarding pressures, I found that the recommended pressures for standard 17" sizes was too high and ran the middle of the tyres out so would suggest dropping it slightly. Again, do a search as there will be lots of info on here. Really depends on tyre make, sizes, preference though so just experiment

Cheers
Ian
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Welcome.

Front and rear tyres are obviously different widths so the aspect ratios are also different to maintain a similar rolling circumference.

If you do change tyre sizes here's a good tool to compare what you'll end up with:

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syn...calculator.htm
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Congratulations on your new toy, Chris! I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of ownership. I ummmed and arrrred for quite a while before buying, worrying about this or that, but almost 3 years in and I enjoy owning this car more than any car I've ever had (not that extensive or grand a list mind you, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
I have 18" wheels on mine now and am running 265's on the back,
Ian... I don't think I've seen any photos of your new setup yet mate. You know the drill

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Ian... I don't think I've seen any photos of your new setup yet mate. You know the drill
I thought I attached this to the Silverstone thread.....?!?!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM

As Fok said, the rear tyre is wider so the profile is a "lower" figure to maintain a similar overall diameter to the front. It is actually slightly lower profile than the front tyre and a 255/40/17 matches the front 225/45/17 better. But then I prefer 235/40(f) and 245/40(r) on the OEM wheels!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Here's some info on tyre pressure,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15273
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Thanks Chaps

Thanks chaps, Spooks. . Good old Derby County supporter!! I was there at the Old Baseball ground in 1968/69 Halcyon days!!! Great times indeed.

Have dropped rear tyres to 27psi. .but I realise its too late now!

Will Pm you later Ian. . Cheers Dave . . The 6 speed conversion looks interesting?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Hi Dark Dog

Another one from Derby , we'll have to have a meet .

Steve
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Dog View Post
Thanks chaps, Spooks. . Good old Derby County supporter!! I was there at the Old Baseball ground in 1968/69 Halcyon days!!! Great times indeed.

Have dropped rear tyres to 27psi. .but I realise its too late now!

Will Pm you later Ian. . Cheers Dave . . The 6 speed conversion looks interesting?
Maybe it's time to return under the new Steve McLaren era?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1968 View Post
Hi Dark Dog

Another one from Derby , we'll have to have a meet .

Steve
Since I haven't spotted either of you around yet then sounds good

Last edited by Spooks; 06-10-2013 at 07:47 AM.