A/C problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
    quick fit do a regas for £45 if it dosnt hold, no charge..they run a dignosis aswell.
    I thought about them, but would you trust them with your MC?

I phoned cpc and phil will have a look in a week or so when I'm back fromy holiday.

Thanks
    andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
    2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post
      Has anyone used the Qwik Fit service? My aircon is in need of a recharge and the local dealer quoted £149. When he heard my response, he immediately dropped the price to £99.

CB
      98 S50 Cosmos Black/Black interior (previously 98 S50 Estoril Blue/2 tone blue interior)
      My band’s debut album Killer Diller by Drinking Bird Experiment is available on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and all the usual other digital outlets.
      http://bit.ly/dbespotify
      http://bit.ly/dbeitunes
      http://bit.ly/dbeamazon
      http://bit.ly/dbegoogle

Comment

Originally posted by cloudburst View Post
        Has anyone used the Qwik Fit service? My aircon is in need of a recharge and the local dealer quoted £149. When he heard my response, he immediately dropped the price to £99.

CB
        I used them this time last year. Did a great job, still works as it should.

They all loved seeing the MC as well!
        Current Rides: Estoril '99 S50 Z3 M Coupe, Black '11 Range Rover Sport HSE, Guards Red '91 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
        Former Rides: Carbon Black/Kiwi '02 E46 M3 Convertible, Sprint Blue/Black '04 RS4 Convertible, Sterling Grey/Black '04 Alpina Roadster S (No. 67), Hyper Blue/Black '04 Mini Cooper S Convertible, Chilli Red/Black '04 Works Mini Cooper S

Comment

Just waiting to have mine done now ahead of what hopefully is more nice weather to come - especially Silverstone

It hasn't been regassed for years so hoping that's all it is since its not blowing cold at all.
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post

I phoned cpc and phil will have a look in a week or so when I'm back fromy holiday.

Thanks
            andrew
            you can trust them , its only connected to a machine so its impossible to get wrong unless you meant leaving the car in which case just wait the 40 mins or so

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
              Just waiting to have mine done now ahead of what hopefully is more nice weather to come - especially Silverstone

It hasn't been regassed for years so hoping that's all it is since its not blowing cold at all.
              Mine seems to be okay, icy cold again - just in time for the thunderstorms that are now being predicted for the coming week

Like said, they just just connected it up for about 45 minutes and then removed £49 from my pocket!
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

they connected mine for 2 mins and told me it was leaking , that was last year and ive still not fixed it but i best get it done soon because im going on holiday with it soon and its worth anything to not have the missus moaning for a 2000 mile round trip

Comment

Got Kwik Fit to do it this morning. No pressure in the system when they connected it up. But I've no idea when it last worked. So the system went ahead and did its business. Aircon is nice and cold again now. Guess, I'll have to wait and see how long it lasts.

CB
                  98 S50 Cosmos Black/Black interior (previously 98 S50 Estoril Blue/2 tone blue interior)
                  My band’s debut album Killer Diller by Drinking Bird Experiment is available on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and all the usual other digital outlets.
                  http://bit.ly/dbespotify
                  http://bit.ly/dbeitunes
                  http://bit.ly/dbeamazon
                  http://bit.ly/dbegoogle

Comment

Originally posted by paulwirral View Post
                    they connected mine for 2 mins and told me it was leaking , that was last year and ive still not fixed it but i best get it done soon because im going on holiday with it soon and its worth anything to not have the missus moaning for a 2000 mile round trip
                    Stop at the motorway services, run a t-shirt under the cold tap then wrap it round her head. Not a good look but it works! Had to resort to that a couple of years ago in France as it was absolutely sweltering and the air con hasn't worked since I got the car. Really must get it done soon
                    www.tracking-shot.com

Comment

Originally posted by twink View Post
                      Stop at the motorway services, run a t-shirt under the cold tap then wrap it round her head. Not a good look but it works! Had to resort to that a couple of years ago in France as it was absolutely sweltering and the air con hasn't worked since I got the car. Really must get it done soon
                      ill get wrapped round the head if i try that Im off through france to the dordogne then on to san sebastian and biarritz for a few days then back to the dordogne , i was there cutting trees down last year and it was that hot i spent most afternoons inside with the shutters closed watching itv4 , the proffesionals and the sweeney are an ideal way to waste time

Comment

I'll state the obvious - you shoulda bought a convertible

Ok seriously I've used Kwik Fit a number of times with no problem. They are cheaper in winter (c£29) and dearer in summer (c£49). Its best to book it in online to get a timed slot. If you phone them they usually just say "bring it round anytime" and at this time of year you end up waiting. It can take up to 45 minutes depending on the system.

The process is they program their machine for your specific car. This is important as they need to put in the exact amount of refrigerant and oil. If they are in doubt they will not do it (presumable due to liability). The S54 Z3's are easy as their is a sticker under the bonnet confirming everything. Not sure about S50's ? (with porsches its a nightmare as there are so many variants of 911).

THe system has 3 phases being :

1) drain system
                        2) pressure test
                        3) refill refrigerant and oil

and 4th stage is them manually testing with a temp probe.

If stage 2) pressure test fails they legally cannot refill and will not charge you.

Its worth noting that they will not drain 100% of the refrigerant and oil and thats why its important they identify the car as their database will inform them how much of each will remain in the system so they know how much to put back in to top up.

If you system has not been regassed for years its not uncommon for next to none to be removed. It does not mean it was not working (just not optimally) or that it is leaking.

Also passing the pressure test does not mean you don't have a leak. Just that you don't have a bad leak. Its not uncommon for cars to pass, get refilled, work for a couple of days and then fail. At least if this is the case you can usually be safe in ruling out the compressor and its probably in order of likelyhood condensor, hoses, evaporator.

My Z3 had not been regassed for many years but with temp probe readings I new it was working. £49 later and its ice cold and has been for 2 weeks. And yes roady's do use it (well I do) to keep my nuts cool

So many Z3's have none functioning air con due to the possible cost of rectification with the justification of "I don't need / use it". The last 3 weeks just show what ball0k$ that is (ie no way to keep them cool !). I take the attitude that if the owner can't be bothered to fix that what else has he not been bothered to fix (that engine warning light that keeps coming on but the car seems to run fine, etc......).

The Porsche is another story, works for 2 days and stops. Evaporator changed (c15 hours porsche labour hours ) but covered by warranty. Currently back in as there must be another leak but again covered by warranty. At least I'll know its right for another 16 years when its working

ps forgot to mention that unless the leak is obvious most indy's sub contract the work to diagnose the leak.

Also to give an idea of what you should expect mine is pushing out c8-9 degrees below ambient (taken by me when ambient was between 15 and 20 degrees). You have to have enough revs to get the compressor running at optimal which typically is around 2,000 revs but not exactly sure for a Z3. Theoretically there should be a sliding scale of expected readings to ambient but I've never seen one published by BMW for the Z3's.
                        Last edited by Jonttt; 23-07-2013, 12:32 PM.
                        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Just to add, the Z3 air con system is very good when it's working, I would guess the components are designed for a much larger cabin space probably like an E36 Touring.

Comment

Had a new condenser fitted and air con regassed,been very cold recently!however i do get a bit of a screech when i turn it on,sounds like a belt slipping,,it does go off after a while,but wondrin if there is anything that needs lubricating etc,

Comment

I have had a dye added for the last couple of re-gases which has show up any leaks of which there has been many

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                                I'll state the obvious - you shoulda bought a convertible

Ok seriously I've used Kwik Fit a number of times with no problem. They are cheaper in winter (c£29) and dearer in summer (c£49). Its best to book it in online to get a timed slot. If you phone them they usually just say "bring it round anytime" and at this time of year you end up waiting. It can take up to 45 minutes depending on the system.

The process is they program their machine for your specific car. This is important as they need to put in the exact amount of refrigerant and oil. If they are in doubt they will not do it (presumable due to liability). The S54 Z3's are easy as their is a sticker under the bonnet confirming everything. Not sure about S50's ? (with porsches its a nightmare as there are so many variants of 911).

THe system has 3 phases being :

1) drain system
                                2) pressure test
                                3) refill refrigerant and oil

and 4th stage is them manually testing with a temp probe.

If stage 2) pressure test fails they legally cannot refill and will not charge you.

Its worth noting that they will not drain 100% of the refrigerant and oil and thats why its important they identify the car as their database will inform them how much of each will remain in the system so they know how much to put back in to top up.

If you system has not been regassed for years its not uncommon for next to none to be removed. It does not mean it was not working (just not optimally) or that it is leaking.

Also passing the pressure test does not mean you don't have a leak. Just that you don't have a bad leak. Its not uncommon for cars to pass, get refilled, work for a couple of days and then fail. At least if this is the case you can usually be safe in ruling out the compressor and its probably in order of likelyhood condensor, hoses, evaporator.

My Z3 had not been regassed for many years but with temp probe readings I new it was working. £49 later and its ice cold and has been for 2 weeks. And yes roady's do use it (well I do) to keep my nuts cool

So many Z3's have none functioning air con due to the possible cost of rectification with the justification of "I don't need / use it". The last 3 weeks just show what ball0k$ that is (ie no way to keep them cool !). I take the attitude that if the owner can't be bothered to fix that what else has he not been bothered to fix (that engine warning light that keeps coming on but the car seems to run fine, etc......).

The Porsche is another story, works for 2 days and stops. Evaporator changed (c15 hours porsche labour hours ) but covered by warranty. Currently back in as there must be another leak but again covered by warranty. At least I'll know its right for another 16 years when its working

ps forgot to mention that unless the leak is obvious most indy's sub contract the work to diagnose the leak.

Also to give an idea of what you should expect mine is pushing out c8-9 degrees below ambient (taken by me when ambient was between 15 and 20 degrees). You have to have enough revs to get the compressor running at optimal which typically is around 2,000 revs but not exactly sure for a Z3. Theoretically there should be a sliding scale of expected readings to ambient but I've never seen one published by BMW for the Z3's.
                                Does the machine automatically add the new oil?

Comment

Working...
                                X