Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > Welcome and New Owners Section
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyCol View Post
...The following day the sales manager rang to say there had been a mistake in the pricing - effectively a single mistake had rippled through the various computer systems to show a consistent pricing picture everywhere except on the windscreen sticker! He said he couldn't supply the car at the lower price. I stuck to my guns saying we had a contract and eventually they caved.
Lucky Barstool! I don't think there is any chance of that happening, but I hear what you're saying.

I'm checking all the usual places 3 times a day (having a bloody iPhone I can't help myself)... At this rate though I'll no doubt go nuts within a month or so, cave in, and buy the nearest S50

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Welcome Keith,

You sound like a sensible chap who actually wants a car!

I owned a Z3M for two years and this forum proved an excellent resource prior, during and even after my ownership - also making a few mates along the way. The fact that I am still browsing this forum is testament to the Z3M Coupe and the clientelle on the forum!

With regards to the S50 vs S54 debate, its interesting.

Visually, there is nothing in it other than a few cosmetics and additional colour options.

From an engine point of view, its a little different.

The power is roughly the same but both engines have their pros and cons.

The S50 engine IMO doesnt sound as good / smooth as the S54 and you have the potential for Vanos growl (note: I haven't mentioned Vanos failure!). If you can live with some Vanos noise and some minor preventative measures relating to strengthened bolts and filters, the S50 will go on for miles!

The S54 is a much smoother engine and I love the raspy sound, but people will mention and share their experiences of bearing shell failure.

With no clear optimum, keep both options open and buy on condition.

I can't stress this enough.
Z3M's are affordable to buy but some owners think they can afford to neglect them or run them on a shoestring.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Welcome Keith,

You sound like a sensible chap who actually wants a car!
Hah, thank you Rags. Yes, I am very certain I will be in a Z Coupe soon. Many nice BMW's can be had for the same sort of money, but these have had my attention for a while, and for me, now seems like a good time to buy an impractical, 2-seat, ///Money pit (i.e. before the missus gets broody and all that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
The S50 engine IMO doesnt sound as good / smooth as the S54 and you have the potential for Vanos growl (note: I haven't mentioned Vanos failure!). If you can live with some Vanos noise and some minor preventative measures relating to strengthened bolts and filters, the S50 will go on for miles!

The S54 is a much smoother engine and I love the raspy sound, but people will mention and share their experiences of bearing shell failure.

With no clear optimum, keep both options open and buy on condition.

I can't stress this enough.
Z3M's are affordable to buy but some owners think they can afford to neglect them or run them on a shoestring.
I particularly like your last paragraph. Being a BMW owner and (other) forum member for years, I know this only too well. Blow the budget on the car, leave nothing for the care and attention, servicing, and general niggle-sorting (not to mention pampering) that the car needs. I buy a car expecting to throw another grand on it immediately to address almost inevitable niggles.

I am familiar with both lumps after driving 3s for years, however when it comes to new car time even I am airing on the side of caution. I know of plenty of people with well cared for M3s who have chatty Vanos' but still are going strong and pulling like horses. I know the whole vanos thing is blown up somewhat, but now its me taking the plunge to an older car, I do worry. However; your points above make perfect sense and I agree strongly with 'keep both options open and buy on condition'.

I must admit, I to and fro almost hourly regarding taking the plunge to sell my current car - which is making the buying process harder tbh. I've had it 7 months and turned a pretty-good low-mileage example into a mint-condition looker (IMO of course), through hard work and attention; money too! I was driving it to work today, revelling in how tight and 'right' it felt after all the maintenance I've done on it, mostly myself. It literally wants for nothing. It makes it sad to think I'll sell it after getting it to where it is.

Have a look at the advert; http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.p...pic=11787&st=0

The point of me going on there (sorry), is that I'm worried about buying an older car which may not have been treated like I keep mine. I guess that's why I might be waiting a while, as it will have to be special, however I know thats the risk you always take when buying a new car.

Could you guys let me know if you see any cars that you know (and have been looked after) come up for sale? S50 or S54? I'd really appreciate the insider knowledge to help aid the decisions.

Cheers Guys,

Keith

Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Hi Keith,

You obviously know alot about cars and especially BM`s.

I know alot about human nature and i would say push for an S54, its basically a better car. The S50 is fine but will be much harder to shift when re-sale time comes around.

I have been looking for months and the S54`s even though priced higher are sold within days sometimes hours.....whereas S50`s hang around for weeks/months. Sure this will make your search more tiresome and traumatic but ultimately more satisfying. I am the kind of person that believes in patience and fate. There will be the right S54 out there, you may need to be less fussy about colour than with an S50 but at the end of the day compramise is never a good thing...

The S54 engine is the best BMW has ever made, need i say more......
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Another point to note is that the S50 seems to suffer from the bearing shell failures too so its not just an S54 issue. BMW have replaced an S54 engine that failed due to bearing shell issues on a few occasions documented on this site not sure about any S50 ones.

Also with an S54 you know you are getting 325 bhp. With an S50 it can vary 270-320 bhp but who knows !
350Z
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

is it S50 bashing day, blimey........ most people on this forum own a S50 and for many its there pride and joy, including me
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave p View Post
is it S50 bashing day, blimey........ most people on this forum own a S50 and for many its there pride and joy, including me
Compared to 99% of engines out there its fantastic.
350Z
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM

If you wish to pay 5k extra for some grey dials, all that is visually different when behind the drivers wheel, then go ahead. I've driven both and to be honest there really isn't much in it, as said the s50 is silky smooth compared to most engines anyway. Obviously the S54 is more desirable, but is it really worth the difference in $$$$, only YOU can decide.

Paul

Last edited by Wav; 12-11-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 AM

I wouln't be put off an S50 - the right car will drive as well as an S54. I agree that an S54 would be more desireable - if cost and availability were no barrier. I personally decided that the extra cost/pain of waiting for the right car to come up was not worth it, depending on your pressure to buy/financial circumstances you may feel differently.

My S50 (1999) runs like a dream (92K miles, vanos replaced 2K ago) - lots of power, smooth delivery and no rattles. The simota induction kit gives it the nice extra noise which makes it sound better than a stock S54 (although I am clearly biased... )
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Woah... Thanks for all the input guys, but please, lets not get emotions get in the way of the S50/S54 debate - I have not tried to discount the S50, I have been relaying my honest thoughts and feeling towards both, in the hope of hearing your experiences and opinions. I know only too well it is a fantastic engine... You S50 boys can argue that BMW put two of your engines together to make the S70/2 (the V12 in a McLaren F1); pretty good bragging rights IMO ...

Earlier in this thread I was suggesting my preference is for an S54, but that is not purely down to the lump. Another tick-box on my ideal criteria, is for a later car - 2000 on perhaps, purely because I'll be coming from a 2003 which is completely mechanically sorted. I feel the later the better, unless I know the older car has been looked after by somebody who understands maintenance. Many people in my experience, spend more time touching up bodywork and on alloy refurbs than addressing preventive miantenance; subframe bushes and rubber engine boots that perish etc. I feel that a later car might give me more time to address such issues with the attention required, unless I can see the owner of an early model has the same attitude to maintenance as me.

My other feeling regarding the S50/S54 models is that if I ever did need a new engine at any point in the future (slim chances, but still), a low/average mileage S50 will be harder to find than a replacement low/average mileage S54 due to them still being made today.

Another is also service intervals. Although I do mid-interval oil changes myself, I still pay garages to do the main services to keep the book stamped up and FSH retained. I have an extra 5,000 miles each time with an S54 (S50 every 10k, S54 every 15k).

Believe me guys, I know the S50 is a masterpiece - some of the Evo's I have been in are insane - the engines love to be wrung close to the redline and the performance is truly staggering. So please don't think I am discounting it.

May I ask, how many of you all DO have a pro-active attitude toward maintenance? How many of you have a regular nose under the bonnet to check associated hoses, and who takes the time to get the car up on stands to check the drive-train, gearbox leaks etc? How many of you do most of the work yourself? How many people have swapped their gearbox oil for some uprated stuff because you don't believe this BMW 'sealed for life' spiel? I'm almost obsessive about replacing things to prevent failure of anything, hence I'll be looking hard to find the right car where I can see the owner has had the same attitude.

So, no hard feelings - both cars are utterly desirable, I just need to weight up all the points and get some viewings done to see which edges it over the line...

Keith